Mixed Emotions/I Can't Tell You Why

As the day of Kousei's first brain operation arrived, Kaori spent the following day, a Saturday morning, just tossing around her CFL ball in her room. She had been somewhat in the dark about Kousei for the past few days, and hadn't heard from her new friend, Hiroko Seto about things either. She thought to herself I hope he will be alright.... and I hope I will be, too. Just then, she got out her violin out of its pink case and tried to keep herself sharp in the days leading up to the gala.

Again, as she played, she played with just as much perfection as she had in the past, but given how her worries about Kousei were adding up, she was playing more notes out of tune, even fumbling and slipping her fingers on the violin bow at times. After about 30 minutes of this, Kaori grew even more concerned. "What.... what? I'm messing up the notes more? Oh, god.... this isn't a good look for me before this big concert! Dammit.... What is going on with me? Am I a person in disarray, who's without guidance, a lost soul? Oh, I better not dwell on it. Remember.... don't let Kousei's health get to you. Don't let it... get to you." 

With that, she went over to her Famicom once more. This time, she picked Xevious as her game of choice, and played it quite well. She ended up playing the game for 30 minutes, before finally deciding to play the Canadian Football League video game she'd been thinking about. She actually liked it, as it was quite fun to play..... back in the days when all you needed on a controller was a D-pad, two buttons, and a START and SELECT button. It was that fun. She played several full games as the Saskatchewan Roughriders before losing the fourth game to the Calgary Stampeders 28-25. Even with that loss, she enjoyed the 8-bit CFL video game through and through. "Wow.... who knew that this football video game could be so fun?"

As Kousei started to undergo his first surgery on his brain, all he could think to himself was, as the doctors prepped him How in the world did all of this happen? Am I really bound to by mother in not just my playing, but the fact that I may have the same disease as her? Damn it, just when I thought I was free from her shackles.... when I could finally see color, when Kaori came into my life.... my fate just might be in jeopardy!

~DREAM SEQUENCE~
MUSICAL NOTE: "Is This Love" by Whitesnake

Kousei imagined himself in a concert hall. Instead of a classical musical piece, he surprised his audience by singing and playing a piano rendition of a rock song, in this case, Whitesnake's "Is This Love" Kousei started playing the song, and even sang as well. He never really got any chances to sing, but the concert hall would be pleasantly surprised here.

I should have known better
Than to let you go alone
It's times like these
I can't make it on my own
Wasted days, and sleepless nights
And I can't wait to see you again

I find I spend my time
Waiting on your call
How can I tell you, babe
My back's against the wall
I need you by my side
To tell me it's alright
'Cause I don't think I can take anymore

Is this love that I'm feeling
Is this the love that I've been searching for
Is this love or am I dreaming
This must be love
'Cause it's really got a hold on me
A hold on me.....

The crowd cheered for him. To hear him play a piano rendition of a 1980s rock song was somewhat unlike him, and for him to even sing (and he sung remarkably well at that) as uncharacteristic of his style, but he wanted, in this dream, at least to play something flashy, and what better song than a Whitesnake song? As the crowd cheered, Kaori came up to him, and hugged him. "Oh, Kousei.... You were wonderful!" Kousei smiled at Kaori. "Yes, I'm going places. I wanted to surprise the crowd with my song choice...." As he said this, he winked at Kaori. She returned the favor and did likewise.
~END DREAM SEQUENCE~

Meanwhile, Takahiko and Hiroko could think about how Takahiko's son could possibly go the way of Saki. "Dammit, this seems familiar... my own son, having Saki's disease.... What the hell did he do to deserve this?" Hiroko, being the genuinely caring person that she is, tried to comfort him. "It's not your fault. Sometimes, we can't control our own destinies, and we can only carry on and live our lives the best that we can."