Losing Everything

Start from the beginning

Y/N grasped Steve's arm and he looked down at her.

"B-Bucky." She managed to get out, and his eyes immediately filled with sadness. "Tell h-him-"

"Hang on, doll." He shook his head, as he tried his hardest to figure out how to help her. "We're not saying our goodbyes yet."

As much as she wanted to say more, her body wouldn't allow her to. The darkness started to come in again, and as much as she wanted to stay, she knew there was no point in fighting it anymore. It would come for her no matter how hard she would fight.

Her eyes focused on Steve, watching the panic spreading across his face with each passing minute that he tried to fight to save her life. It shouldn't be him who would deliver the news to her boyfriend, but it would be him. She could only pray that Bucky would understand.

With a sad smile, Y/N reached out and brushed Steve's face gently, causing his eyes to meet hers. "T-Take... care... of him."

Tears filled his eyes and he nodded softly as her hand dropped back to her side. She smiled sadly, before breathing once more and letting the darkness consume her.

---

The plane landed five minutes later, and Bucky was waiting. He wasn't angry... he was furious. He was ready to beat the living shit out of Steve, and to reprimand Y/n for what she had done. He was ready... he had plenty of time to plan it out.

The door opened, and before Bucky could say a word, a frazzled Tony Stark quickly exited the plane, holding a limp figure in his arms. He was out of sight before Bucky could say a word, and he froze as he watched Steve exiting the plane. His eyes were red, and he was trembling slightly as he approached Bucky.

"You better fucking tell me that wasn't Y/N Tony was carrying." His voice was deadly calm, his anger seeping underneath as he made dead eye contact with his best friend. "You better tell me that she's still inside that goddamn plane."

A sob escaped Steve's lips, and Bucky's demeanor broke.Not even half a second later, Steve was on the floor, his nose bleeding from the blow that Bucky had struck.

"Why did you fucking let her stay?!" Bucky's voice was almost at a scream. "You should've sent her back!'"

"S-She wanted to prove Tony wrong." Steve managed to get out as he wiped away his tears. "I couldn't convince her to leave. "

"Y/N looked almost dead when Tony carried her off the plane! She couldn't handle that, not while I was there!"

Something changed in Steve's eyes, and Bucky noticed. "What?"

"Nothing..." he mumbled, and pulled himself off the floor.

"No. No more lies... what is it?" Bucky grabbed him by the arm to hold him still.

Steve looked at his best friend sadly before saying, "She stopped breathing on the plane... I don't know if she's going to be okay."

Bucky's breath hitched in his throat, and he let go of Steve's arm. His heart nearly stopped in his chest, and he did not know what to do next.

"Buck... I tried my best... I-I didn't know what else to do... I-"

"Stop." He fixed his gaze on Steve. "This is all your fucking fault! Why didn't you save her?!"

"I tried." Steve's voice was filled with tears and desperation as he looked at Bucky. "I tried to keep an eye on her when we were on the mission, but one of them just took her down, threw her around like a rag doll. There was nothing I could do after she blacked out."