90- 'Inner Demons'

Start from the beginning

Maybe that's why her phone and headphones were always with her. Like her life saver.

Her tired and empty eyes look out the window, gazing as the people walking along the pathway, smiling and laughing. How long has it been since I smiled? Laughed? She couldn't help but think. Think so deeply that she didn't realise when Kiaan stood in front of her, just an inch away with a gift bag in his hand.

His fingers were carefully holding the gift bag so it doesn't bend. Has to look perfect. She wanted things to be perfect, least everything related to paper, basically books or cards or just normal gift wraps.

"Jaanvi." He didn't greet her morning, instead he preferred to draw her attention with her name. It was Saturday, his off. He woke up extra early today-which he doesn't do on weekends-to apologise to her. Waking up at seven AM, he left straight away without eating breakfast nor talking to her since she was sleeping. Jaanvi did wonder where he could be today but didn't bother texting. She's been like that. Her eyes wonder every morning questioning, where is he, but she remains quiet, waiting for his presence or message to answer her unspoken question.

She looked up, her eyes locked in his, but curiously bored down at the gift bag for a second. Straightening up from the chair next to the window she just blinked showing she's paying attention.

He sighed, disappointed at the lack of tongue use, is she paying tax to speak? He brought the gift bag closer to her hand, just a mere away from her grasp. She kept her eyes on his face, so temped to peek inside yet she kept a straight face.

"It's for you." He grins lightly with a faint dimple on his right cheek.

Jaanvi's Pov:

Me? I think my brain had commanded my hand to reach out my chest in reaction to 'for me?' But I was quick enough to clutch my night-gown to keep my hand in place. I kept looking at him, hoping he'd say something else because I wasn't going to ask him what was inside.

Sometimes I don't understand it myself, why am I even behaving like this with him? He's done nothing wrong. Since the day he's stepped into my life I've learnt to live without stressing too much about anything, yet I was being so cold towards him.

Seeing the lack of reaction he sighed, dropping the gift bag on my lap, I kept looking into his eyes. "I brought you books." I wanted to smile. Books have always been a peace giver to me but I didn't show anything on my face. "Thought it'll keep you busy. There's murder mystery's just what you like and a few others." He spoke to me in a matter of information tone like I was a customer. I raised my eyebrows, debating with myself to talk or not.

I held the gold and red gift bag in my hand, passing it over to him but he didn't take it. It remained in my grasp as I spoke, "I don't want it."

A deep and sharp breath was released from his mouth, his hand flung to his temple as he massaged it. The way his eyes intensely gazed down at his feet with those thin lines lips I knew he was trying to control his anger. "It's my way of saying sorry for last night." He muttered, his face dropping in defeat. "I'm going out to pay the bills, I'll cook lunch when I get back. The cereals on the kitchen counter, I've refilled it and the milk is in the mug in the fridge, eat that for breakfast." He left the room without glancing back at me.

Once hearing the main door crack open and slam I was sure he was gone. 'I'll cook lunch when I get back.' His words repeated in my head. It wasn't his job, it was mine. Yes, I like how he's not one of those egoistic men who think women are made for kitchen but I felt bad. He had work pressure-I think, I mean I don't even know where he works and what exactly he's doing half of the time on his laptop at night, presuming it's his left over work. I should be doing the daily jobs but I wasn't. I just couldn't take my mind of those memories.