Forty Six

I stand a hundred feet away from the open hole in the ground. The sun is shining down on me as I try to remain hidden in the shadows. Overall, it is a really nice day out despite the way I am spending my morning being less than pleasant.  The cemetery workers work tirelessly to fill the hole back up with the dirt that was removed from it in order to put my father's grave six feet beneath the surface.

The burial was quick and painless

The burial was quick and painless. No one read poems or prepared speeches. No one spoke a word about my father. The priest cave, said what he was paid to say, and left immediately after.

I stood as far away as I can while still being able to see everything that was going on. I didn't want to draw any unwanted attention to myself but I did want to see him get buried. Despite my intense hatred for my dad, I didn't want him to be alone when he was buried.

Not that he would know. But I would feel guilty and that just isn't something I wanted to feel. He failed me in life but I wanted one last chance to make him proud of me.

I'm all he had left anyways. I was the only one who came to this makeshift funeral.

My simple black dress sways in the slight breeze as I slowly walk across the rough grass towards the finished grave that holds my father.

The cemetery workers and the press have all left

The cemetery workers and the press have all left. For them, it's over. The workers have finished their jobs and the press no longer have a story to write. They can all go home and move on with their lives, finding the next thing.

With the crazy killer dead, the press no longer has any reason to stalk either of us. I guess my story isn't as fun to write when my father isn't killing anyone anymore. No drama in my life makes me boring I guess. I'm fine with that.

Standing above his headstone, I sigh. It is simple and the cheapest option I could find.

William Kash
Father • Husband
1973-2019

"It's all over now I guess." I talk as if he will respond. "I hope you're where you deserve to be." I twirl a single rose in my hands before placing it down on top of the lightly packed dirt. It sits lonely on the very top of the mound. "Goodnight dad." I whisper and turn around, satisfied with our ending.

It's over. For real this time.

No more escapes. No more staged suicides. No more murders. No more kidnapping. No more.

He can't hurt me or anyone I love ever again. He has truly been stopped this time. His reign of terror is officially over and will never resume.

It's over. Forever this time.

Author's note: I'm sorry this chapter was so boring and uneventful

Author's note: I'm sorry this chapter was so boring and uneventful. I've been working on another story and honestly, I totally forgot about this one for a while.