Twenty One

Sitting up in the hospital bed, I drown out the doctors words as they tell me I've managed to escape with fairly minor injuries considering the fact that I am very pregnant. My baby and I are going to be okay if I take care of myself.

Though I got very lucky today, all I can think about are those who didn't get so lucky.

I watched as Leigh was taken out of the house in essentially an oversized trash bag and loaded into the back of an ambulance despite being dead for almost an hour. She didn't deserve to die. Not like that. She had so much left to live for. Her and Logan were supposed to have the rest of their lives to spend together. They were so happy. She made him happy. Her and I had our differences but I truly did grow to care for her.

Kara was ripped from my arms by paramedics who immediately started life-saving procedures

Kara was ripped from my arms by paramedics who immediately started life-saving procedures. They whisked her away in an ambulance as well and drove her to the same hospital where I am now a patient as well.

The doctors came in just a little while ago to tell me that she did not survive surgery. They then dare to tell me that I'm going to 'be just fine'. I don't deserve to be just fine. I should have died along side Kara and Leigh.

Both of them were taken from this Earth far too soon

Both of them were taken from this Earth far too soon. They had so much left to live for.

It seems like there is no time to grieve their deaths as we have to also worry about what is going to happen to Mason and Tilly.

My father managed to get away with them after shooting Kara and leaving her to die in my arms. I couldn't focus on him after he left me with Kara gasping for air in my lap. I lost all focus on saving the kids.

Logan isn't speaking to me because of it. He thinks I should have tried harder; I should have done more. I told him Kara was clinging to her life in my arms and I couldn't bear to lose her.

That wasn't good enough for him.

He has spent all of his time with Leigh and Kara in the morgue. He is saying goodbye to them. I don't blame him. He lost his wife and sister in one day. It can't be easy for him.

Summer, the luckiest of us all, was hiding under the bed when this all went down. Her, Tilly, and Kara were playing a little game of hide-and-seek and Summer proved to be the best at the game. Had she not managed to stay hidden, from my father, she could have suffered the same fate as Mason and Tilly, or worse.

Officer Meenan bursts into my hospital room, out of uniform, breaking up the 'celebrations' of the doctors based on how well I am recovering already. They quietly disperse and leave us.

Peter leans against the wall and rolls his eyes.

"Avery!" He rushes to my side.

Seeing him makes me cry. Had he not pulled the officer away from my house this morning, none of this would have happened. The officer would have stopped my father and arrested him before he was even able to get in to the house and hurt everyone.

"You said you weren't going to let him hurt us." I remind him of the promise he failed to keep.

Because he didn't do a good enough job, Leigh and Kara are dead and Mason and Tilly are missing.

"We are doing-"

"Everything you can. I know." I finish his sentence. I've heard it a thousand times before. "I don't want to hear it."

"We are working around the clock to-"

"I don't really think she wants you here, man." Peter shrugs and walks closer. "I'm just taking a guess here, I'm not really great with women but I do have four sisters and I'd say the look of rage in her eyes doesn't make me think she does." He defends me.

"I'm just here to help kid. Stand down." Josh tries to joke.

"You tried to help before and now my sister-in-law and step-sister are dead. And two of my step-siblings are missing." I remind him of just how terrible he has been at helping us lately. "I just don't think you are very good at your job."

Josh wipes his face and nods. "I'll stop bothering you. But I'm making it very clear that I'm not going to stop fighting for justice here."

Author's note: what do you guys think of what has happened?

I added Officer Josh Meenan & Brandon Ford to the character's list! Here they are below!

What do you think about both of them(I know you haven't seen much of them yet but more is to come!)?