Fourty

I have to testify against Logan today at his sentencing. I have to sit in front of a judge and several onlookers and tell them what Logan did to me.

Pacing the floor outside the courtroom, I jump when I hear a kind voice call my name out, echoing through the empty hallway.

I make my way inside the room alone, making sure no one has followed me.

It may seem silly to anyone looking at me walking into this courtroom alone after everything I've been through. If I have so many people In my life who want to support me, why did I come here alone?

The answer to that question is easy.

I need to stand on my own two feet. For all my life, I have been relying on others to help me up when I've fallen. Not anymore.

I need to figure out who I am as a person and not let anything stop me from becoming who I am meant to be in my life.

Also, I don't think Tyler would be able to enter the courtroom without rushing the stand to rip Logan's head off.

I walk down the aisle, feeling Logan's eyes burn my skin as he looks me up and down. I keep my head hanging low as I make my way up to the stand beside the judge.

I flick my now-normal hair behind my shoulder and wait for the officer to finish swearing me in to the court.

I take a reel breath as the judge begins

I take a reel breath as the judge begins. "Miss. Sweeney-Kash, Logan Ratton has already been found guilty in your case. Today, we decide the time he should serve in jail for his actions." I nod. "So please, do your best to tell the court what happened to you on the day in question."

"Well, I don't remember much to be honest your honor. I just remember bits and pieces." I admit, hoping he can accept a half of a story.

"Just tell us what you can. Remember, no one here has heard you story yet. Only the defendant's." The judge flashes a warm and comforting smile at me, picking up that I am nervous.

I glance over at the door as Peter tries to enter the courtroom without being detected. I glare at him, knowing that I told him to stay home, that I didn't want him coming. He flashes me an apologetic smile and takes a seat in the third row back.

"Miss Sweeney-Kash?" The judge asks, noticing that I am distracted.

"Sorry." I reply quickly, my eyes shifting towards Logan. I can see his evil glare piercing my body. "I-" struggling to find words, I begin to shake.

I remember being so madly in love with Logan that morning he could ever do would make me stop loving him. Just looking at him wild give me butterflies. Now, that feels like a distant memory.

My heart used to be filled with love for him.

Now, my heart is filled with terror when I look at him.

I look at him and nothing comes to my mind. He is too intimidating to speak out against.

I really thought he loved me too. That's the worst part.

"I can't testify your honor. I'm sorry." I stare at the ground beneath my feet, feeling ashamed and terrified.

"Let me remind you miss. If you don't testify against him, he could walk free. He will be released from jail immediately." The judge says.

I nod my head, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone. "I understand."

"Court is dismissed then. His sentence will be fine served with release immediately. Thank you all for your time today." I am up and out of my seat before the judge can even finish addressing the court. I can't stand to be in here a second longer than I have to be.

I wipe a tear from my cheek and push the swinging door into the rows of seating. I need to get out of here.

Peter stands and grabs my arm as I walk past him. I look up at him, taking my eyes off the ground. "What are you doing? You know what he did to you. And you're just going to let him come home?" He asks me.

I pull my arm away from his grasp and continue walking towards the exit. "Leave me alone Peter."