Chapter 40: Family Virtues

Começar do início

"Please," Emily stood, "she may be that, but the two of you have as much affection for each other as oil does with water. Everything is on the surface, cousin, but the two of you refuse to blend. You are not fooling anyone."

"Then what of Lydia?" He asked, panicked. "Do you think I am so easily influenced by her?"

Emily laughed. "Think it? I have seen it! You cannot seem to think straight when she is about, everyone has noticed it. That's why I said that you would be nicer to me if she was here. But no matter," she smiled, "I will write to Mr. Neilson and invite him to dinner myself!"

She swept out of the drawing room, leaving Fredrick in there utterly baffled. Had his affections for Lydia been so obvious? He thought they were being discreet. Lydia certainly attempted to pretend she had no feelings at all, to keep up appearances that he was engaged to Lucy, but perhaps she faltered as well?

Oddly, this gave him hope that their feelings really and truly were mutual. Perhaps he was being a fool to have questioned it in the first place, but ever since his time with Robert, Fredrick had found it much more difficult to trust and easier to doubt. For years that was his excuse for keeping a strategic distance, even with his duties and the Lord of Shelter Hall, even with the obligations his titles and accolades gave him. He was a well known and respected man, but he had always known what little respect he had for himself. Perhaps it was possible to allow himself to believe that Lydia did really love him.

Still, it would be easier when she was back, and he prayed that was soon.

XXX

Charlestown, South Carolina

Leaving Eliza to return home was difficult, and Samuel had been expecting that. He had not, however, anticipated how hard it would be to leave behind his niece. She had really become the balm to his wounds, and it took all the strength he had to not become emotional over their parting.

"Write to me as often as you can," he said to Eliza as they stood on the docks right in front of the vessel that would take Samuel home, "I need to know how Hope is growing."

"I will, brother," Eliza smiled.

"And, of course, I would like to know of your condition as well, and your husband's. Extend to him and to Malia my apologies that I could not remain long enough for their return."

"I will do that, but I am sure they understand why you have to leave," Eliza assured him, holding a cooing Hope in her arms. "You have your own family to attend to."

"I have a wife," he corrected her sadly. "No children."

She shook her head. "That will change very soon, I know it will."

"Until then, you must allow me to give Hope an allowance."

"We talked about this!" Eliza protested. "John is perfectly capable of providing for Hope, you need not impose yourself."

"This isn't about me going over your husband's head, Eliza," Samuel replied. "I want to make up for the mistakes I've made, whatever it is I did that caused you to distance yourself from me."

"Sam..."

"No, please, let me get this out, I fear I do not have time to waste," he breathed in. "When you left Belmoran, I was at first furious. I wanted to chase you down and drag you back by the hair if I had to, but I had my wife, and Leila was—and still maybe is—suffering. I thought that my actions that drove you away was the reason my marriage was faltering, and then I blamed you. I blamed your husband. I blamed everyone but myself, and if I want to be able to look myself in the mirror, I have to fix what my hubris broke."