iv. 𝙥𝙧𝙞𝙙𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙟𝙪𝙙𝙞𝙘𝙚.

Start from the beginning

It's Clarke.

If June wasn't looking herself, she wouldn't believe it was true. But it is Clarke. Her wild hair is blonde with streaks of red, scars prominently on her face, dressed from head to toe in grounder clothing, and a gag in her mouth. She's being held prisoner. June darts her gaze to the right to see a grounder man is leading her, and he seems too well-built to fight. But that doesn't stop her from lowering her gun slowly, in a daze, as she shares a knowing look with Bellamy.

There's no warning as Bellamy bolts away, June on his heels. She isn't tired anymore and certainly isn't thinking straight, only sprinting to get to her best friend and save her. She can hear the ones left behind her and Bellamy chases after them, calling their names softly, but June doesn't stop until Monty and Pike catch up. Monty is in front of her, both his hands up as he stands in her away. "No!" She gasped, trying to shove by him.

Despite Monty's small frame, he's somehow easily able to keep June from running again. "Hey, hey," he tries to calm her down, softer over Pike stopping Bellamy. "You won't make it, June. No way we can get across without being seen. Look." When Monty points behind him, June finally stops struggling and follows his finger. She hates that he's right.

An army of more people than June can count is passing through the tall grass. They're all Azgeda, wearing armor with animal fur, white and black face paint covering scars, and definitely too strong for them to take on. Tears spring in June's eyes as she falls still against Monty, only standing because of her hold. She had spent so long being angry with Clarke, that when she saw her, alive, she was filled with regret and pain. June knows she can't lose her, not again. She's already lost everything else.

"We should lay low, let the army pass, then we find Clarke," Pike suggested when Bellamy stopped.

Monty shakes his head in distress, head turning and eyes landing on something not too far. "Guys," he announced when the rest caught up. "There's a cave."

Clapping Bellamy's shoulder, Pike comments. "We just got lucky."

"I can't go with you," Indra suddenly said. "Ice Nation has crossed the border. They're marching against my commander, I have to warn her."

Understanding, Kane gestured for her to leave. "We'll get Clarke," he reassured her.

"You better," Indra instructed darkly. "If the Ice Queen gets to her first, she'll be dead. And we'll be at war."

June looks back to where she once saw Clarke. Her best friend was still there, but a blur from the distance without her scope. "That's not happening," she stated through gritted teeth, forced to look away as Monty gently directs her towards the cave.

The cave is as dark and dewy as June expected it to be. She can't see Clarke and her hostage-taker anymore which is unfortunate, but luckily, they were shielded from the army and weren't at risk. June was sat on a large rock, her gun propped next to her with her elbows on her knees and her hands clasped together. She could only see Clarke, the picture of her so fresh and new that she knows she won't forget it. Especially when she looked hurt.

"We're losing her," Bellamy announced from his spot at the mouth of the cave.

"Relax," Kane calls to him. "Save your energy."

"Kane's right, son," Pike added when he sees Bellamy scoff. "The army will move soon. You'll need your strength for what comes next." June squeezes her eyes shut. She knew Kane and Pike meant well, but she figures they can't imagine what she and Bellamy feel either.

It's Monty's soft words that make June open her eyes and gaze in his direction. "I need to know what happened." He's sitting next to his mother, holding a hurt expression. June knows what he means, and Monty deserves to know about what happened to his father.