i. 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙝𝙖𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙙𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙮.

Start from the beginning

"A uniform doesn't change that. This is our home now, Lincoln. We fought for it," Bellamy reassured him as he turned to the rest. "Too many of our friends died for it. On The Ark, the uniform meant something different. Down here, it means what we make it mean. Together." He leaned forward, mumbling the last words to Lincoln. "My sister will understand that eventually."

It's clear that Lincoln is touched by the speech as he holds the guard's jacket close to him with the hint of a smile behind his hard features. "Pair up and fight now," he instructed to the group as June approached him and Bellamy. "Sector seven, that puts you right at the Ice Nation border." The clan Ice Nation was one June had only heard pieces of, knowing that they were the most ruthless of them all.

"I know," Bellamy replied.

"Just because Azgeda is part of the commander's Coalition doesn't mean they respect the ceasefire. I should be on that scout."

"We all want that," June cuts in. "But not yet, Lincoln."

Bellamy nods. "Until the commander agrees to lift the kill order on you," he adds. "You're more trouble than you're worth." This time, June can clearly see the smile on Lincoln's face as he turns, holding the uniform closer, while he helps the one's training. "Come on," Bellamy urged June. "We have to get permission from Kane."

While Kane still wasn't the chancellor, Abby was, he still made a lot of the decisions. They needed at least one of their permissions to venture out of Arkadia. June followed Bellamy all the way to their office in silence, allowing him to knock on the door and slowly open it for them both.

A board is in front of Kane, and he's scribbling on it with a marker before eyeing them. He gestured for them to come inside with a wave of his hand before bringing a finger to his lips. June sees why when she steps inside; Abby is fast asleep on the couch, her chest rising and falling with each breath. "This is the first sleep the Chancellor's had in two days," Kane explained quietly as to not wake her.

"We'll be quick then," Bellamy said equally softly. "We're going into Sector Seven. I think we should arm the entire unit."

There's a pause as Kane thinks it over before nodding. "Permission granted. But the rules of engagement still apply, nonlethal response."

"Copy that," Bellamy agreed with a nod.

"Thank you, Kane," June said genuinely. She always felt much safer with any firearm in her hands or in her holster.

As they turn to leave, Kane quickly stops them. "Bellamy, June. There hasn't been an attack since Mount Weather." June freezes in place, stiffening. "It's been three months. Our people believe that this is real peace. Try not to screw that up."

Despite Kane only teasing even though he was somewhat serious, June tightly smiled, taking it personally. "We'll do our best."

"Yes, sir," Bellamy spoke over June before Kane could answer her. He put his hand on her shoulder, quickly guiding her out, quietly shutting the door behind him. "You know he wasn't serious, June."

"I know." June sighs, brushing her blonde hair off her shoulder and letting it fly behind her as they rushed to the hangar bay where everyone was waiting. "I know," she repeated. "Just, ever since Mount Weather and... Raven..." June stopped in mid-sentence, shaking her head. She was thankful that Bellamy understood and left it there, allowing them to finish their fast-paced walk in another silence.

As June suspected, the others were already there. Miller was loading supplies into the rover while Monty was sitting at the bar table, head bowed. "Monty," Bellamy called, announcing their arrival. "Why aren't you ready?"

Straightening at the sound of his name, Monty spun in his chair to face them. June could see he looked tired, dark bags under his eyes with a frown tugging at his lips. "I am," he responded. "He's not." He jutted his chin out below him.