23.

-Saturday-

"You and me are hanging out later." I winced. "What?"

"Nate's coming over later... but we can hang out tomorrow?" His face showed no emotion. "Why is he going over?" He asked. "I'm helping him with math remember?" I hate lying to him, but I know he would be one of the guys to tease the hell out of Nate and quite frankly, he's really sweet.

-2 Weeks Later-

Theo's POV-

I decided to just drop by at the Laughlin's. When I pulled up, I saw Nate's car in their driveway. Lately they've been hanging out too much. I parked down the street and walked in to the backyard. Her light was on.

I climbed up just enough to be able to peek in through her balcony doors. She looked at him and smiled... Could be nothing... I looked around, they were writing stuff down, maybe she was telling the truth... But every time I ask her, she gets suspicious.

I walked into Jake's room. "I need to talk to you.." He lifted an eyebrow... "Is.. Is Lia getting tired of me?"

"What? No! Are you serious? She's in love with you dude."

"She's been hanging out with Nate lately.. by lately almost everyday for the past three weeks.. I mean I knew they were friends but its kind of weird.. They're together right now and she didn't even tell me." I sighed.

"I'll talk to her and see what's up. But I doubt it Theo. You're probably over thinking it..." I hope so. "Thanks Jake."

-Next Morning (Friday)-

Lia's POV-
"Everything's set." I muttered as I passed by Nate in the hall. I went and met up with Adriana in the parking lot. "I feel like today's gonna be a good day." She said. I'm sure it is.

When we got to her locker, she looked at me when she opened it. "What?" I asked as if I didn't know there was a note inside.

"There's a note in my locker... with my name on it... who even writes this nice?" She picked it up. "What does it say?"

"Adriana, you have taken my breath away. So here's a trail of clues, a game for you to play. Your next surprise will arrive to you soon." She raised an eyebrow. "Oh you've got a secret admirer." I smirked. "Shut up." She smiled. "Who could it be?" I asked leaning back on the lockers and looking around.

"I have no clue... could it be... no. Maybe.. No. I don't know." She shrugged as she smiled. "Come on let's get to class before we're late." I said as the bell rang. There was a little box on her desk. She looked at me. "Open it!"

She hesitantly did. Nate bought her a necklace with her name engraved on it. "Who the hell is this person dude?" I shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine." My heart is so happy right now.

After second, I rushed down the hall. "Hey babe-" "Can't talk right now! Sorry! I'll see you later okay?" I zoomed past Theo. I have to get her present for third set.

Adriana's POV-
I walked into the bio lab and noticed a poster with candies taped along with words I can't make, on my side...

This is kinda Nerdy but please don't Snicker. You are worth more than 100 Grand to me. There are more stars in my eyes for you, than in the entire Milky Way. Adriana, you are the Swedish girl Ive ever met.

This is so cheesy but so cute. I just want to know who this person is. Who would go through all this trouble for me?

I met up with Lia in the hall as the bell indicated lunch. I got a text from my phone. "Your pizza has been delivered its in the front." Said the dude when I answered. I told Lia and she walked over to the front.

She came back with a pizza box. I opened it once in the cafeteria. The inside of the box read:

Jewelry and candy may have not done the trick, but I know this is the way to your heart

"Who is it?!" Asked Elena. "I have no clue.." "I'll be right back Ima use the restroom." Lia stood up.

Theo's POV-
I saw Lia walk out of the cafeteria and I followed her. "Nate these are gorgeous!" I peeked over the hall and Nate had handed her a bouquet. She hugged him. "Go before anyone sees. I can't wait for tonight." They smiled at each other. He walked away quickly as I ran out. "What the fuck Lia! I tell you I love you and you get the chance to cheat on me!?"

Lia's POV-
Shit.

"Its not what it looks like." "Bullshit! Ive seen you sneaking around with him. Spending everyday with him. And these flowers?!" He yanked them from my had and threw them to the floor. "Theo!" I quickly picked them up. "Theo I'm not seeing him!"

"Then?!" His face was red. His nostrils are flared. His chest, sticking out. "I... I can't tell you.." I will not ruin this for Nate but I also don't want to ruin my relationship. "You just have to trust me."

"Bullshit! Fuck you dude. We're done. I'm done."

"Theo please! Its not like that!" I cried. "Please Theo."

"Fuck you. I've never told any girl before that I loved her and you cheated on me."

"I didn't! I'm not! Theo please." I'm basically sobbing. "You're disgusting."

I cried in the bathroom... I finally built the courage to wash my face and get semi decent. My heart is broken, but I made a promise. One I will not break.

I dreaded walking over to sixth period.. I have Theo for that class. As soon as I walked in, he put his arm around a girl. My blood boiled. So much for "loving" me. I spoke to the teacher and lied about having ASB duties. He excused me and all I did was cry then wash my face again to cool down then headed to the gym.

I had coach Vargas, the volleyball coach, go into Adriana's classroom and hand her a volleyball. I drew a small portrait of her on it, along with today's date and a note Nate wanted me to put on there: to the gym is where you'll find your secret 'him'. But not so fast, you'll just have to wait till after class.

Nate came in, 10 minutes before the bell rings. "Does she have any idea its me?" He asked, his voice shaky.

"Nope.." I shook my head. "What's wrong?" Just the question made me break down.. "Theo broke up with me.."

"What why?! Come here." He engulfed me in a hug. "He thinks I'm cheating on him with you."

"I'm so sorry Lia." He rubbed my back. I could hear voices from a distance. I pulled back and wiped my face. "This isn't about me right now. Okay, you're gonna walk out from the set of bleachers with the second bouquet. Each girl is gonna form a diagonal line leading to the center of the gym. They're each gonna hand her a flower. As soon as she steps there. Im gonna hand her the last note. Ima have her read it out loud then you'll walk out."

"Thank you so much Lia. This wouldn't have been possible without you. I really do appreciate you and I'm so sorry about Theo.." I sighed. "Yeah well.."

I positioned the girls and gave them each a red amaryllis, her favorite. The bell rang and I took my position in the middle. My legs shook as I grew nervous for Nate.

"What's this?" She asked. "Follow the line." Said Rebecca, the girl handing the first flower.

"Are you my secret admirer?" She asked when she got to me. "No." I laughed as I handed her the note. "Read it out loud."

"I've liked you for some time now.. I just never knew how to tell you or if you even liked me back. Truth is, I picked on you when we were kids because I liked you then.. at first it was just a tiny crush. Its blossomed to more than that..."

"So Ade, will you go on a date with me tonight?" She looked up as he walked over with the bouquet. She shed a tear or two before hugging him which made me really happy.. for a few seconds then I remembered my situation.

"Of course! This is so amazing."

"I had a lot of help from Lia actually.. And I'm so sorry again Lia.. I truly am."

"Sorry for what?" Asked Ade. "Her helping me cost her, her relationship.. Theo thought she was cheating on him with me.. I asked her not to tell anyone about this and she kept her promise.."

"Aww babe don't cry."

"No no. This isn't about me. Ill be fine." Eventually. "Tonight is bye week so you guys are going out on a date. The surprises aren't done for you just yet my friend. I have the job of taking you to them.. now hug your Prince Charming goodbye. Coach V has let you skip today's practice."

I drove her to the nail salon which Nathan had already paid for. In fact as a token of appreciation, he paid for my set as well. Then to the hair salon where she was pampered some more. She got her hair done and her makeup done.

I helped her get ready before sending her off. I drove home and as I pulled up, Theo was leaning on his car in my driveway. I parked and got out of my car without saying a word. "Lia.."

"Go home Theodore." I unlocked my front door. "Nate told me what happened."

"Good for you." I turned to close the door but he blocked it. "Lia."

I felt the tears escape. "Leave me alone." I closed the door and locked it. I slid down and cried. He knocked for a couple minutes before it silenced.

The knocking commenced and I stood up and opened it annoyed. "I told you I don't want to talk to you! Beth.. I'm so sorry.." She was standing on the other side. "Come in." I said moving aside and wiping my cheeks.

"I came to drop off a pie I baked.." She stood there awkwardly as she set it down. "My dads in San Francisco for the night."

"I know... what's wrong? I mean I'd understand if you don't want to talk to me..." I shook my head no. "I don't want to talk." I hugged her and cried as she hugged me back.

For a second I wasn't crying because of Theo, but because I wish my mom was here to help me with these situations.

We stayed like that for a few minutes. "Boy troubles?" I nodded as I stepped back.

So we sat on the couch and I vented to her.

"Seems like he realized a little too late.. I can see where he's coming from."

And I did too after her and I talked. She had valid points for both sides. "I think you should talk to him."

"And say what?"

"What you just told me. How that made you feel. The key to relationships is communication. Yes you, pardon my language, fucked up by not telling him but he did too for not listening to you. But you were being a good friend. Sometimes its just hard being the good person all the time. It may seem like no matter how much good you do, you still end up in shitty situations. But that's life. You live, you learn, you grow."

"Thank you.. so much Beth." She smiled. "No problem Lia. I'll always be here when you need me. I'm just a phone call away. Don't hesitate to call me or text me whenever you need anything."

"Actually.. would you like to have brunch with me tomorrow? You can pick the place." She smiled real big. "I'd really like that."