20.

-Thanksgiving Week-

Since we get a week off from school, dad and I left first. The Archibald's came the following day. Well they just arrived.

"Alice!" I heard my grandma say. "Maria! Joe!" She ran in and hugged them. She was like my moms sister so of course my grandparents view her like a daughter. "Looking good Mari!"

"Oh stop it." Said my grandma and I smiled. "Hey princess." I heard and immediately the butterflies in my stomach awakened as I turned to face Theo. "Hey!" I hugged him and he kissed me. "What am I missing here?" Questioned my grandpa with a raised eyebrow.

"These two are what you call.. lovebirds I believe." Josiah said from behind us. My grandpa just eyed us. "Come here son. Let's have a talk."

"Is that really necessary grandpa? Dad constantly gives him the talk." I whined. "He hasn't had a grandpa talk yet. Now c'mon Theo." They walked to the back patio. "He's always been cute, yay you." Whispered grandma in my ear and I laughed.

-Next Day-

The doorbell rang. "Ah Beth! You made it!" Oh boy here we go. I don't have anything against the woman its just weird to see my dad with another female who's not my mom.

My grandparents looked at each other then to me but I just sighed. We walked into the living room and I took a seat next to Theo, who just gave my hand a squeeze.

When my dad brought her into the living room, I decided to go say hi and give her a hug. I'm sure its not easy meeting your boyfriends dead wife's parents.

Considering both of my dads parents are deceased, my moms parents are the next thing he has to a mom and dad.

I returned to my seat and gulped. "Guys this is Elizabeth... Beth this is Joseph and Maria. Cordelia's grandparents and my in law's."

"Its so nice to meet you." She said and my grandma just let out a "mhm". "Be nice." My grandpa scolded my grandma.

I'm sure its not easy for my grandparents either.

"Nice to meet ya. Call me Joe." My grandpa shook her hand after my grandma did.

"This is Josiah and Alice and their sons Theo and Jake." They stood up to greet her properly. "Are you hungry?" Asked my dad. "Oh no."

It grew silent.

"So." I stood up. "I'm gonna go trot, would anyone like to join?"

"Good idea." Jake stood up. "Only if you teach me." Said Ali standing up. "Of course."

"We should all go. C'mon."

We followed my grandpa to the stables. I went to pet my horse, Olive who was next to my grandma's horse Scout.

I heard the familiar whistle. I turned to my grandpa who had brought out my moms horse... "Cosmo!" I ran over and hugged him. I could just imagine my mom on him. I turned to Olive.. as much as I love her, Cosmo was my moms. I have to ride him.

"I want to ride him.." I turned to my grandpa who smiled. "I knew you would." He said already gearing him up. Everyone watched as I trotted. When I was ready, I began to canter. "Show off!" I heard Theo yell and I laughed.

I brought him to a stop. I spent most of the day teaching them how to trot with my grandpa. Everyone seemed to have fun. Beth was hesitant at first, seemed like she didn't want to step on anybody's shoes but my dad convinced her to ride Olive.

Dinner was quiet at first then my grandparents began asking her questions. Many were the same ones I asked.

"How will you be there for Lia? You're not a mom, are you ready to put up with the teen girl problems?" Asked my grandma. My dad chocked and sipped on his wine.

My grandmother adores me. I look just like my mom. My mom was an only child as am I. She just wants the best for me too.

"No, I'm not a mom. And I don't intend to be Lia's mother because no one can ever replace Alexandra. But I will be there for her when she needs a shoulder to cry on and when she needs advice or just someone to talk to." I.. don't know how to feel about this.

"When I first met Michael, he never made a point in trying to hide the fact that he has a daughter. In fact, it was the very first thing he told me, then he spoke about his wife. Coming into this relationship, I knew I wasn't just going to have Michael, but I was ready to be a motherly figure or just a friendly figure to Lia. Mike made it very clear that if Lia did not like me.. Well then.. we'd have to end things. So I'm glad that she was able to give me a chance." She looked at me and smiled as tears built up in her eyes.

Okay. She's moved up my 'like' scale. I like her a little more now. "What does your future look like?"

"I eventually would like to get married and have children." Grandma set her wine down. "That's where I'm concerned. If you and Michael decide to have children, I don't want my Cordelia pushed aside. Yes a baby needs all the attention but never forget that's not the only child there is." She said very sternly. Oh shit.

"Of course not. If anything, if Michael and I get to that point, I would really love for Lia to be in the baby's life. I would never push her aside because she's part of Michael and I love Michael. Her and I do have a long way to go since we don't really know each other but I'm glad she's willing to try. That alone speaks so much about her character and I truly hope we get along." I side smiled at her as I don't know what else to do.

After dinner, Beth and Alice volunteered to clean up. I went over to my grandparents room with my grandma, as the guys went to the backyard.

I laid my head down on her lap and she stroked my hair. "She isn't that bad you know.. she seems nice.." I said. "I can tell she likes your father. I can also tell she really wants to work things out with you. I fear that once you guys get close, that relationship won't work out and you'll be left alone again." I gulped. "I have Alice." She smiled.

"That's true baby. I know Alice would never leave you alone. She'll always be your second mother. Just.. don't be afraid to speak up if you don't like something about Elizabeth. Vocalize your feelings with your father. Good or bad. He needs reassurance too." I nodded.

Someone lightly knocked on her door. "Come in!" The door opened, revealing Theo.. "Hey Maria.. mind if I steal her?" She smiled."Go on my girl. I love you." She said out as I stood up. "I love you too grandma." I kissed her cheek and walked out with Theo.

I followed him out to the back. "Listen.. I need to talk to you.." From what Ive seen in movies, that statement is never good... "I was thinking we talk over at the pond?" I nodded without saying a word. I went and grabbed Olive. He mounted her behind me.

I tied her around a tree as she drank from the pond. We sat down on a boulder and he looked at me. "Listen.. they've been scouting lately.. They've been looking at me..."

"That's good Theo!" He's the best quarterback in all of Southern California what else would I expect? "Lia... I'm getting offers from Florida, Texas, Notre Dame, Mississippi, and LSU..." I sighed. "I'm happy for you..."

"But?" He asked. "Theo.. those are all far away." "I can go over to USC."

"No. You've been looking at LSU for so long. I don't want to be the reason why you don't go to your dream school."

"I just got you, I don't want to lose you." I smiled. "You're not gonna lose me Theodore."

"Do you really think long distance is gonna work out? I'll probably come home only on holidays. That's only thanksgiving and Christmas.." I know its gonna be hard.. "We'll try and manage.. If we see that it doesn't work out.. We can always try when you get back."

"That's the thing. I don't want anyone else. I want to know that you're gonna be mine long or short distance."

"I am Theo." He smiled. "You're committing to LSU right?" He shook his head. "For so long I thought I would. I wanted to. Im getting better offers from other schools. We're going over to University of Florida in a few weeks then Texas then Mississippi within a month to check out the campuses then I'll make my decision. And I want you to come with us." I smiled. "I'd love to."

"For now, I want to spend every second with you." He kissed me and I kissed back. Olive neighed. Cockblock. "We should get going before it gets darker." He helped me up.

We all had a movie night outside. Grandpa and dad set up a bed sheet and grandma brought out the screen projector.