"I am disgraced and dishonored, Mr. Hopps..." Nick spoke at last. Tears appeared in his eyes.

"I failed to protect you, and this was my grand duty." He looked right into Stu's eyes.

"Do you think so?" Bonnie joined the conversation. "Do you know what could have happened if you hadn't arrived?"

"I should have arrived sooner..." Nick shook his head. He still could not believe it... Not only did the Hopps family forgive him, but also did they brand him hero.... Nick stared at everyone, confused.

"You did your best, Nick" Bonnie reminded him.

"I could have done it better..." He objected.

"Nick... critics is a good thing, but not when you use it recklessly" Bonnie said. "Most often, particular circumstances remained hidden from your sight. This is normal, life is dynamics." 

"Can you tell me what happened in the shopping centre, when you saved the hostages?" Judy suddenly asked.

"We saved them, but it was only due to the quick reaction."

"And yet, several officers got injured, including you" Judy said, as she examined Nick carefully.

"Yes..." Nick nodded. "Another mistake on my behalf... which was why I hesitated a lot before accepting the awards at the ceremony"

"There is always a risk, Nick" Stu turned at him again. "You cannot expect that in every moment you'll be aware of the circumstances. Believe the old rabbit, who has served in the military!" Stu spoke.

"I have faced obstacles and odds of which you haven't even dreamt!" Stu continued. "Once, I was surprised unpleasantly during a military training operation. The opponent had surrounded us and sent us a false message. We fell right into their trap. Then, I never imagined someone could perform such a trick. We failed our mission, but learnt our lesson. Always check the crypto – codes of the message." Stu finished his short story.

"Why are you telling me this?" Nick asked.

"Because, Nick, you should know no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. And in the particular case, you..."

Yes... exactly... I made a mistake. And now I bear the consequences! Nick thought.

"You're a hero to us, Nick. And I'm grateful to you. I can just state I'm proud you're the husband of my most precious daughter and the father of my granddaughter, Violet."

With these words, he gently caressed Violet. She twisted in Bonnie's lap and yawned. Her grandma kissed her and covered her with a blanket. Nick finally turned his head at Stu. He could not believe what he had just heard.

"You can't be serious!" he shook his head in disbelief.

"You think so?" Bonnie spoke. "You saved us from a certain death. You saved our house from the fire and you even paid our repair. Do you think we would forget this?"

Nick then looked at Judy. Her ears had lopped, she stared right at him with moistened eyes. Judy was proud of her husband. He had gained the respect of her family.

"I love you, Nick" she murmured. Then, she came over him and kissed him passionately. Suddenly, Nick grabbed her and tossed her over his shoulders. She gasped, hugged him and writhed in his lap. Nick whispered something, then turned at Bonnie and Stu. Both of them stared at him with jaws dropped. They exchanged puzzled looks with each other.

"I expected a far harsher judgement" Nick spoke after a short silence. "I just could not stay and watch how terrorists invade, tie and torture my family"

Now, Bonnie and Stu were really proud of Nick. He had proven he really cared about his family. Moreover, he was no harmful of his predator nature. He would never threaten lives, and this was the general rule. But should anyone threatened his family, he made no compromises. A loving father, ready to sacrifice himself in the name of his family... There was no greater glory than that.

"You're a hero, Nick." Stu spoke again. "I'm just sorry for one thing." With this, Stu sighed. "That I have mistrusted you. For which I beg you to forgive me..."

Now, Nick's eyes were wide – opened. Judy's father begged for forgiveness! This was too much... Nick knew everyone was shocked, including him, but this was way too much...

"Mr. Hopps... I think all of you need a little rest now. Surely, a lot of events have occurred in zero timing. The shock is great, I understand that..."

With these words, Nick looked at Judy and Violet. Both had fallen asleep. Stu and Bonnie died for a rest as well.

"But how are we supposed to sleep?" Bonnie asked. "We're way too scared. If someone attacks us again? What do we do?"

"Don't worry about it!" Nick assured.

Bonnie and Stu exchanged puzzled look again. Then, with no more words, they headed for their bedroom.

Nick remained still. His fur bristled, his eyes had started glowing into emerald green. Nick felt as if something extraordinary was happening. He scratched himself. Suddenly, he felt a wave of.... Something? Nick could not figure it out, but it overwhelmed him and filled him with fury. Then, he took his machine – gun out of his coat and started patrolling in the house.

As he entered the kitchen, he smelled the air and growled. Someone was present in the corridor! He tiptoed to the angle and quickly turned on the lights. No one...

"Hmmmm..." Nick growled again. He turned the lamp off and then he saw it....

The silhouette...

He stood there and stared at Nick with his crimson red eyes. Then, the silhouette pointed at him. Nick felt dizzy and fell on the ground. Before he could react, darkness engulfed him...