The judgement

Dear readers, if you have any assumptions or suggestions of how the story should continue, you could leave a comment below! :)

Also, if you enjoyed this chapter, let me know by hitting the star! Thank you! :)

Yours sincerely: the author

It was indeed a difficult decision. Both Nick and Judy hesitated whether to return to the Hopps' house. After everything they had gone through, they constantly stood on guard. Whenever any of them turned back, tragedies occurred. As of the house, it had been attacked by terrorists not so long ago. Who knew what they would run into?

Eventually, they reached the house and were met there by Bonnie and Stu. Despite all the horror, their welcoming was still warm. They entered the house and Stu immediately closed and locked every single door and window.

Then, they settled around the table in the living room. Violet sat in her grandma's lap and fell asleep. Both Nick and Judy's ears were sharpened to pain. They expected an intrusion at any moment. Stu's face was entirely covered by bandages. He groaned from time to time as the waves of pain struck him. Nick looked at him and at this moment...

He felt extremely guilty and ashamed. He had arrived too late, only to see him smashed down. On top of it, Judy passed out and Violet was more than terrified. Stu gazed upon Nick, who turned red. His ears lopped and he stared at the floor. Some time passed. Judy sat next to her mother and caressed Violet.

A heavy silence had settled, as if all could understand each other with no words. Just gazes were exchanged, just single movements. Obviously, everyone was still in shock and overstrained themselves in an expectation of the next attack. But hours passed and nothing occurred. Gradually, all got themselves together.

"Nick..." Stu began. Surprised, Nick lifted his head. It was the first time Judy's father addressed him by his short name. Nick expected to be scolded and even cursed by Stu. Since, as Nick thought, I was just late and failed my duties...

"A lot happened lately" Stu started. "I never imagined I would experience this, but... nevertheless..." he stopped and thought for a moment. Nick buried his face in his arms and sighed.

"My gratitude for your efforts..." Stu continued. To Nick, it sounded like sarcasm or even mockery. Judy's father could not be serious.... It was just a miracle there were no victims. Nick had nothing to do with it. Or he thought so...

"You cannot imagine the horror I experienced when these monsters came to my house." Stu spoke.

It was true... In fact, who wouldn't be horrified if a terrorist invaded his home? Nick thought, as his ears automatically processed Stu's voice. He expected the judgement. And it was about to come.

"I felt completely helpless when they neutralized me via electrocute" Stu continued. Nick shook his head. If his companions were here right now, they would probably judge him even worse. And he deserved it. How many more lives was he destined to ruin?

"I then passed out, but before all got dark, I saw.... I saw my children and relatives on the ground. Stuck in nets and against the walls..."

Nick clenched his ears to pain and shuddered. Judy went over and sat next to him.

"When I woke up, I saw no terrorists. They had gone, but the horror still remained." Stu's voice trembled.

Nick was already overloaded with shame and guilt. He felt as if he would take out his gun and commit suicide. It was unbearable. And yet, he had to, no, he was obliged to bear it. Suicide was not a solution.