9.5

BEFORE THE FIGHT BETWEEN MARIAM AND KUCHALI

MARIAM

I called Malik Omari, to find out how he was, and why he behaved the way he did. His phone rang, and he picked on the third ring.

"Hello Mimi, how are you?" He asked

"Baban Yahya am great you?" I answered

"Am here, doing great, so how is your independence day going?"

"It's like a normal day for me, I wanted to ask you if you're free so we could catch up on things" I said tentatively.

"Alright no problem, are we coming out only us, or should I bring someone along?" He murmured a bit.
I had an inclination to who he wanted to bring, but then, I needed answers on how he just went quiet on us, and at the moment, Kuchi didn't want to talk..... But then again, maybe he felt more relaxed with Simeon around.

"Alright, bring who you want to bring" I stated with decision in my voice.

"Okay, just text the address, and I'll come and meet you there".

After thirty minutes, I was ready. I wore a pink and black horizontal light sweater, along with a black jeans, and some flats sandals. I put on simple stud earrings, I carried my handbag, that had my wallet, and phone inside, and I was off.

I had earlier informed my mother about my outing and she sternly said that, at the most I should spend three hours thirty minutes and come back, that all my catch up and gossip that I wanted to do, I could do it within that time span.

I didn't argue with her, because first she is a woman, secondly, she is a mum, thirdly, she's a Nigerian mum.

I got into my black Audi, with the driver and left. On the streets, I could see people wearing green and white, to celebrate the independence. Some extra ones even had the flag applied on their mouths as lipstick, the two colours green and white were divided into three sections, which is green-white-green; which is how the Nigerian flag looks like.

Some were dancing, while others were chanting the national anthem.

When we turned a corner, we were met by a traffic light, which showed red light at the time, indicating for us to stop, and we did.

Suddenly!

People started marching, holding the flag and wearing all types of green with white. Some even had green and white wigs on their heads. After the match-making was over; a bunch of students from different schools, who had on different school uniforms also marched, reciting the national anthem, which was being accompanied by drummers; who looked sharp in their dark green attire and white caps, making them look like navy generals. While others were doing some gymnastics in the air, it was fun to look at, but at the same time, time wasting.

The impatient people, now realised that the traffic light was now purposely put on red, on all sides, so that they could be spectators of the show.

After realising this, they started honking their cars, and even going to the extent of raining insults on the paraders. After five minutes, the coast became clear and we all went to our various destinations.

I finally arrived at the restaurant, called 'Le Chef'. It is green and cream in colour, with posters of different foods and snacks on the front door. I walked in and the air was a bit cold, due to the large air conditioner. Thank God I wore my sweater.

I looked around and noticed that none of them had come, even with the little time I wasted. I went to the counter to order what I wanted, and I went back to sit down.