SHIDA

MARIAM

I hate being a prefect.
I hate junior students.
I want to do and graduate.
Just a simple style called two steps, what's so hard in braiding two steps. I have simply explained it times without number, two steps is like all back, up and down all back you plait on your head. Now these two children, just because they have entered Jss3, they think it's the end of the world.

"So I gave a hairstyle, that you are meant to keep for two weeks, yet you are making excuses".

"Senior Mariam, please forgive us, we won't do it again".

I wanted to slap this girl's face hard. If you forgive them, they will do it again. If you punish them or flog them, they will call you heartless and wicked. It's when one of them become prefects, that's when they will know that is not a cup of tea.

"Since, I as the uniform prefect, will give you guys hairstyle, and you feel you know everything and you have arrived in Jss3, common Jss3, let me just call Naomi for you people"

"Senior Mariam please just punish us yourselves".

Hakeem and Naomi, are the best people choosen for this labour prefect post. I believe that when finally the Ss3s are graduating and are handing over their prefectship, Hakeem and Naomi will surely deserve their post.

Anyways, since Naomi was on duty with me today, why not hand them over to her. She is fearless, and once she's on duty, I think her underworld side comes out. And to further prove my point, the junior students are literally shaking begging me.

"It's okay now, I didn't say I will punish you. The both of you feel you are finner than me now, since I cannot keep afro. I as the uniform prefect, am doing the hairstyle but you girls have arrived.. okay"

Anytime am on duty, with two of my mates that are 'wicked', if there are so many defaulters that day, you'll see a long line of 'criminals' coming to me to punish them, than the rest, why? Because am the most linient

"Babes, what's happening here?"
"Oh! Nam-Nam, thank God you are here. This girls didn't make their hair and I said okay let me hand over them to you. Maybe they will relate better with you"

"Babes, you see why I don't like being on duty with you, you are too soft. They will just step on you in this life and pass, if you are too soft". Well then my work here is done.

Turning to them, her smile left, her posture straightened, and the long wooden cain she carried that was idle, suddenly became a windmill.

"So because you think you are writing junior WAEC, you are now bosses, what is junior WAEC? Where would it take you? You've nor even entered Ss1, you are keeping Afro, see let me gist you something, even if you are finner than my mother, today you will wash toilets till your white starts turning brown, bastard children, try me and my mates again and see. Get up now and go and wash. I give you fifteen minutes. That's even too much for you"

Now I started pitying them, they looked so lost and-
"Babes, don't call me to do your duty if you are going to pity them."

Have you ever met someone, that is smallish in stature, lookes innocent, has a smallish voice, and looks like he or she deserves to walk on diamonds, and the person should always be flowing in white like a clean supernatural creature? But at the same time the person is mean?

Have you? Well then if you have, I think you would also believe in what they say small but mighty. That is who Naomi is.

Yes! Today is Wednesday. Let's rewind small before today right? My mother was angry when I said I will be going back on Wednesday instead of Monday. See me see this woman o! She didn't allow me to explain, she started asking if am the only that has period challenges and am woman with the issue of blood, then started saying I had better not be.
After the shouting, I told her that Kuchali is not feeling fine, and I need to visit her, then she now calmed down and was like why didn't I just tell her in the first place. I internally rolled my eyes. So she then ordered me to buy some fruits and go amd give her.