BIYARR

MARIAM

"Kuchi, you are shouting too much just calm down, it's okay, besides am okay now. I am the one that shouldn't always depend on people anyhow"

"Still, people are so manner-less. What if it happened to any of them. Would they laugh?"

"Yayi ki dena damun kan ki. I am fine, how are you feeling now? Hope you are better"

"Yes, you know as far as you are a naija person, malaria runs deep in us. So I will be strong and resume on Wednesday. But anways, I am going to put you on loud speaker, somebody wants to talk to you"

No it can't be can it? It's not who I am thinking is it?

"Kuchali Omari, who is it?"

"You know who nah, ki dena yanga kamar bah ki sani bah. "

"...."

"Sis, give me the phone". That voice. That deep baritone voice, the one that use to make my chunguli mind to skip. It belongs to Malik Omari; Kuchi's cousin, he started Jss2 with us up until Ss1, he then went to somewhere. Kuchali refused to tell me and I didn't want to disturb her the more.

"Mimi, yah ki ke."

I couldn't answer, the person I like very well is talking to me.

"...."

"Little sis are you there?" Yes! I can see why I didn't pursue my career in liking him, I was sister-zoned.

"Malik, how are you, how has life been with you? Where did you go, have you finished school?"

"Mimi calm down. I am good and I am fine. As for school I am coming back to continue with you guys but I will resume on Wednesday, so I heard you got uniform prefect, it's not a surprising thing, with the way you are neat and organised, I didn't expect less"

"Sorry? You said you are coming to our school?"

"Mimi duk abunda kin ji kenan?"

"Yes I am coming to art class. Hope your seat is empty?"

"No oo I am her seat mate and you people should stop wasting my credit" Malik Omari and I laughed at Kuchi.

"But Malik, where did you go, for half a year?"

"That topic is for another day"

"Kawana did you tell baban yahya about my bestie". Now my friend had come close to the phone. Did I forget to mention that Malik Omari was the third person to complete our group? We had friends here and there who were on and off but it was the three of us who were close. Malik Omari was Kuchi's cousin from her father's side. I am really curious as to why he's coming back, not like he even finished the Ss1 with us. But the funny thing is that he is intelligent, so there will not be much problem on him catching up with us.

Where exactly did he go?

"...so just come on Wednesday now, you hear. Let three of us just come Wednesday. We can tell junior students to bring chair for baban yahya from the common room". I didn't even know Kuchali was speaking, my mind had already gone far, but I manged to hear the rest. Things are just getting more and more interesting in my life. That's good. That's good.

"Okay, until Wednesday then. Bye".

"Take care, bye". With that we hung up.

After I came back home on Friday, my mother came back about thrity minutes later, she was surprised to see me back early. Then she went on with me being a girl, I am supposed to calculate my period, have sanitary pads with me always and now I have caused shame on myself in fron of boys.