monday. july 8 - part two

Our walk back to the cabins was

Our walk back to the cabins was... quiet.

Not awkward, just quiet.

We just walked back up the path, hand in hand, taking in the rest of the night. Of course, we had to get back up in a few short hours, but the whole night was worth it I'd say. Running off three and a half hours of sleep might not suck as much as I thought it would.

The bell ringing outside for us to go to breakfast doesn't exactly help my pounding head, but I hurry outside anyway with hopes of talking to Mary Anne. Once I get inside the Mess Hall, I look around to try and find her, but it looks like I'm the third person in here. Penelope's in front of me in the food line, too busy laughing at whatever Johnny's saying to worry about the rest of us. She finally moves on so I can grab my pancakes and a spot to sit.

I'm by myself for a few minutes as campers flood the Mess Hall. Every time the door opens I look for Mary Anne, but she never comes.

Is she upset about last night?

Is she regretting everything?

Oh my God, what did I do?

"Uh, Myles?"

I jump in my seat and look over at Princeton who has a concerned look on his face. I probably looked like an idiot for a second there.

"Yeah, hi. What's up?"

"You alright there, man? You look stressed out, not to mention tired as hell," he says.

Yeah, no shit.

"Oh I'm fine, just, uh, thinking."

"About what?"

"Stuff."

"Ah, well thank you for the wonderful insight," he says sarcastically. "But, seriously, whatever your 'stuff' is, I'm sure it's nothing we can't figure out. I mean it looked like you were gonna rip your hair from your head for a minute."

Fine, Prince, you win this time with your stupid nice eyes and your fix it attitude.

"Have you ever felt like you might've done something unfixable?" I ask.

"Myles, anything can be fixed," he says.