friday. june, 14

Tree by tree I watch the woods on either side of me pass by

Tree by tree I watch the woods on either side of me pass by. The sun shining through the leaves warms my elbow hanging out the window of the Jeep. An old Paramore CD blasts as I drive up into the mountains, leaving Kennesaw, Athens, and the past year far behind me.

Soon, the huge wooden sign comes into view and I grin as I pass by it.

Welcome to Oak Ridge!

The gravel parking lot has a few cars in it and I instantly recognize a rusty blue truck and a small white car. I park next to the truck and leave my things in the back of my Jeep. I'm sure everyone is in the main lodge catching up.

I practically sprint up to the building and throw the doors open. Inside, my fellow staff members mill around with some others. I spot the lifeguard chatting with our games coordinator. In the corner Emily talks on the phone, probably telling her boyfriend that she made it here in one piece.

"Mary Anne!"

At the sound of my name I whip me head around, red ponytail flying. Across the room Eric, our camp director, is waving a clipboard in the air. I walk over there and give him a huge hug; I haven't seen him in a year.

"Girl, I've missed you so much," he says, stepping back. "How's school?"

"Absolutely insane, Eric," I reply. The University of Georgia is no joke. "But hey, I finished my junior year so I must be doing something right."

"I'm glad. We're so excited to have you back with us again this year," Eric looks down at his clipboard, searching for my group assignment, I guess. "Okay, Mary Anne, you'll be leading the Armada. So you get junior and senior girls this year!"

I smile even wider. The older kids are always the most fun group to lead. I remember thinking I had finally made it when I was a camper and moved up into this group.

"So you'll be staying in Sugar Pine with Mallory and the Legacy," Eric continues.

"Okay great!"

"So you can go on and get settled in," he hands me a name badge and a schedule. "I just saw Mallory head out and I'm pretty sure I saw Myles and Penny somewhere too."

Eric shoots me a look and returns to his director duties. With a smile on my face bigger than before, I run out the doors of the main lodge and along the gravel path, hoping to find my friends.

Us counselors and staff at Oak Ridge have known each other since we were middle school campers here. We always try to keep in touch, but I've kept closer with Penelope and Myles.

When I come up on the Sugar Pine bunkhouse, Mallory is inside putting the sheets on her bed. She turns when she hears me come in and stops her work.

"Okay, Eric totally forgot to mention we were bunk mates!" She throws her hands up before running over to hug me. "I've missed you much!"

"I've missed you too Mal," I say into her wavy blonde hair. She lets me go and looks around me.

"Is your stuff still in the car?"

"Yeah, I was gonna go get it after I came and saw you," I tell her.

She offers to come help me with my bags and it takes us a while to get our stuff settled in place. I always take the same bed no matter what cabin I'm in. On the bottom, closest to the door.

When I finally get all my things ready, I hear a screen door clapping in its frame across the path where the boys' bunks are.

"Hey Mal, who's in Dogwood?"

"Blake and Myles, I think."

Before she can even finish her sentence I'm out of Sugar Pine and up the steps of Dogwood. Without knocking, I burst into the bunkhouse looking for my best friend. I see the guitar case next to his usual bunk, but no sign of him.

"Putting his shampoo in the shower, Mary Anne," Blake calls from his bed as soon as I'm inside.

"Thanks!" I shout and run to the end of the bunkhouse to the bathroom.

Inside, Myles is just exiting a shower when he catches sight of me.

"Oh my God!" He yells.

"I know!" I shout back as I run to him.

I ignore the pang in my chest I feel when I remember the last time I saw him. Myles wraps his strong arms around me and squeezes me tight briefly before letting me go. I'm really not even supposed to be in the boys' bunkhouse, but since camp hasn't officially started yet, it should be okay.

"When did you get here?" He asks, raking his hand through his grown out hair.

"Maybe twenty minutes ago. I haven't seen Penny though," I frown, wondering where she is.

"She's down in the middle school cabin with Emily," Myles answers. "Wait, you're a high school leader?"

"Yeah, I'm in Armada."

"No way," he says. "I got Legion."

"You've gotta be kidding me!" I yell in frustration.

Every single year the boys and girls compete against each other in little challenges to gain points for their team. Whoever gets the most points at the end of the summer wins. Naturally it goes by age group, so because Legion and Armada are both junior and senior groups, I have to compete with Myles. Great.

"I hope you get a group full of wimpy little girls who are scared of dirt," he smirks, teasing me.

"And I pray you get a team of scrawny boys who can't row a boat," I retort.

"I've missed you so much," Myles says, hugging me again.

"I've missed you, too."

Now isn't the time, Mary Anne. You can tell him later.

◾️◾️◾️

"Well guys, it's so nice to have you all back this year," Eric announces from his place on stage in The Shack. His voice echoes throughout the large and mostly empty room. "I know you all have busy college schedules, but y'all know how much it means to these students for you to be here."

It's true, each of us has packed schedules, but we wouldn't miss a summer at camp for anything. I think we get just as much out of this as the campers do. I always drive away with the best memories.

"Each of you has a schedule and a rec packet," Eric continues, showing us the two stacks of paper. "You all know what to do but I'm just refreshing. When your campers get here on day one, get to know them. We have familiar faces every year, but there's always someone knew. Introduce yourselves. Don't forget about the Focus Project, either. Be prepared to speak about and discuss some pretty deep topics."

Every staff member at Oak Ridge has been chosen for a specific reason. Each of our backgrounds is different and each of us has a 'story.' Every year, one of us is picked to share it during the Focus Project and  I've been praying to God it isn't Myles.

Now we've all agreed that we'd be okay with telling our pasts if asked. Everything we do is for the benefit of the campers. I've heard every single one of our stories but I still think about Myles' every day of my life.

We all look around at each other wondering who will be announced to speak at the end of camp. Blake and I lock eyes and he gives me a knowing look. If his luck is anywhere near as good as it's been in the past, we'll hear Emily's story of a toxic relationship or Princeton overcoming an injury to play football. Hell, I'd be more than willing to talk about my experiences in the foster system and getting adopted.

I'd do anything for it not to be Myles.

"So we still have some thinking to do about who we will choose to speak, it all depends on our campers and what piece of advice they need to hear. Anyway guys, thanks again for being here. Now go get some sleep, we've got a big day tomorrow."