monday. july 8 - part one

"Myles Davidson, I don't know what the hell you think you're doing, but—"

"It's okay," he assures me. "Just come on."

I quietly descend the stairs in front of Sugar Pine to meet Myles on the gravel path. The full moon is high in the sky at this hour and honestly I think I'm standing with a crazy person right now. What the hell does he want?

"What are you doing?" I whisper. "It is one in the morning you idiot, couldn't it wait?"

"No," he smiles. "Now, come on let's go."

He grabs my hand and leads me down the path. We pass the mess hall and the Shack so the only place left to go is the lake. I turn to face him and ask what in the world is going on, but his stupid face distracts me.

He's left his hair down so the blond curls bounce with every step he takes. His long eyelashes cast a slight shadow on his cheekbones and it's hard to look away.

"Someone's staring," he laughs.

"No," I scoff. "I'm just trying to figure out if there's a brain somewhere inside that head."

"At this point, I'm not sure."

We don't talk anymore until we reach the lake and he drops my hand. Myles walks along the bank to a tree where a rowboat is tied. He gets the knot loose and brings the boat over to where I stand in my pajamas.

"Alright, get in," he says.

"What the he— no! What are you doing?"

"Just get in the boat."

"No, I'm not getting in the boat until you tell me why the hell you brought me out here at one in the—"

"Mary Anne Walker, if you don't get in this damn boat right now I'm gonna throw you in it."

"Fine," I sigh. "Wouldn't want you throwing me anywhere. Probably couldn't even lift me."

I step in the boat and settle in while he pushes off the bank, jumping in once we're afloat. Myles grabs the oars and gets rowing across the large body of water.

"Myles, what are you doing?"

"Shh, just wait."

I sigh and try to relax, focusing on the sound of the oars splashing the water. I watch them rotate as Myles rows the boat, his broad shoulders working as he—

Okay, whoa, calm down sister.

I move my attention to my hands and my fingernails that have gotten a little too long for my liking. Unfortunately that doesn't keep me occupied for very long.

"Myles?"

"Yeah?"

"Where are we going?"

"You know, I would tell you to shut up," he groans, "but we're here."