Chapter 13

I formed a katana into my hand, ready to try and fight off Shade, even if I was in no position to do so. My body was aching, and all I wanted to do was collapse, but the moment I would do that I would most likely be killed. I had to fight or die. He took another step forward, and so did I, swinging my katana at him. A metal clang filled the air as he deflected it with his 2 machetes. The moment of impact though, the machete's began to grow into a dark purple, similar to the aura surrounding Shade. The color was weird, like a dark purple, but there weren't any correct descriptions of what the color could be. It felt deadly somehow like I had just stumbled upon a murder scene and knew I was about to become a part of it. Suddenly, my katana broke into three's, the machetes cutting through it perfectly, breaking me out of my daze.

I stumbled forward from the sudden force I was putting on his blades vanishing. He grabbed me by the neck and lifted me up, throwing me to the side and onto the ground.
I wasn't anything against this guy. He jumped over the Jeep and walked right in front of Jacob, punching him in the gut before grabbing him. I felt tears in my eyes as I tried forcing myself to stand, but unable to. He threw Jacob over his shoulder and turned around, beginning to walk back towards the cave.
"You...piece of shit..." I said weakly under my breath.
He turned to face me immediately after I had finished talking. His pupils now seemed to be glowing and his face looked completely made out of rage.
"I'm coming back for you next. I suggest you keep quiet unless you want to die. You may be a useful tool, but you aren't needed for DarkMatter's operations."

I watched as Colin came from out of nowhere, jumping onto his back, and wrapping his scythe around his neck, choking him and pulling him to the barren ground. I slowly stood back up as a cloud of dust coming from the ground covered up both Colin and Shade. I limped over, wanting to help but not knowing how. As the dust cleared I was able to see just Jacob and Colin on the ground.
I went to turn around, feeling a presence behind me, but it was too late. I felt a sudden pain radiate throughout my back and I fell to the ground on my hands and knees.

I heard a faint crack sound as I was hit in the back again. I grunted and fell flat onto my chest.
"Wow. You really are failures. Two of you were supposed to be bioweapons, but never came out right, but I thought you would at least be stronger than this. You were supposed to be the strongest after all. However, it seems that's not the case. You're a bunch of imbeciles who have no clue how to fight."
I weakly turned myself over, propping myself up with my elbows to face Shade.
'Wow. Congratulations. You just about beat the life out of a bunch of kids, and it wasn't even a challenge. You seem like one of those people who just get in fights for fun."

He chuckled. "And you think you can give me that adrenaline rush? Really?"
I stared at him, not breaking eye contact, slowly forcing my body up, despite the pain making me want to just collapse backward. "You're right. I'm weak. I've learned that over time. Even with training I never got any stronger. I'm a skinny high-schooler with little to no strength. I also learned that I'm not in some book or movie where I'm some chosen one to save the lives of everyone. But I can try. And when you try, you either do or fail. Even with low odds for success though, nothing is ever 100 percent."
"You make no sense," He said, looking at me curiously
I laughed a bit. "Yeah, I know"

Just as I hoped, Taylor ran up behind him hitting him in the back with a flaming tomahawk. He screamed in anguish and fell to the ground.
I knew I was nothing against Shade. I was weak. But I knew Taylor still wasn't knocked down yet. I just needed to give him the chance to catch Shade off guard.
"YOU LITTLE SHIT" Shade yelled as he swung around, waving one of his machetes at Taylor, who dodged backward right before it hit him.
I was on my knees, still struggling to stand.
I heard the sound of feet sliding against the ground, as someone begins to get up behind me. Shade went for another slash at Taylor as Colin jumped over me from behind, stabbing his scythe into Shade's back.
Time seemed to suddenly freeze once Colin hit the ground. Shade stood unmoving, not having made a single sound when Colin struck him. Taylor and Colin were also unmoving, just staring at Shade, in some sort of daze. I moved my fingers in and out of a fist, afraid that I might have been paralyzed by the same thing that forced Colin and Taylor still.
The silence grew around the entire area. You couldn't even hear the faint sound of the wind. I felt my stomach wrap around itself as an incredible feeling of dread wash over me.
"Idiots"
A sudden blast of pain grew throughout my body. It was like fire. Every inch of my body burned with the intensity of the sun. A force from behind pushed me forward knocking me back to the ground. I didn't even have time to react to the pain.
My ears rang loudly, and all the color faded from my vision. I propped myself up onto my hands and knees, my head spinning. The pain vanished immediately after appearing, but now everything seemed numb. I forced myself to stand, feeling like I was out of my body.
I was playing a video game, my brain the controller, and my body the game's protagonist. I felt in control, but at the same time like I wasn't even there. Like a ghost, controlling or possessing some puppet. I looked over at Jacob. He was on his hands and knees as if trying to get up but not moving a muscle. Shade was standing over Taylor, who like Jacob, was Frozen and unmoving. I lunged at Shade, time seeming to move in slow motion. I felt a weapon materialize in my hand, and I whipped it at Shade. I watched as a chain slowly flew forward. It was a chain whip.
Moving at an insane speed, Shade caught the chain and crushed it into dust. Keeping my momentum, I formed a war scythe into my hand, which was like a spear with a small curved blade at the end, and swung it around, aiming to hit Shade.
Right before the blade hit Shade, he vanished into thin air, and I fell to the ground, tripping over myself in the process.

As I hit the ground, the odd unexplained feeling went away, and my vision returned to normal. I looked over to where I just was. Colin and Taylor were unmoving on the ground unconscious. To the right was Jacob, who was finally getting up off the ground. Shade was already coming back at me, his face showing his intent to kill. Knowing my stupidity, I formed a bo-staff into my hands, and charged at him, the same way he was to me. As I got closer to Shade, I saw him lift up his machete's ready to swing down at me. Suddenly I had a perfect idea.
I picked up my speed, and upon reaching Shade, he swung both his machete's down. I lifted up my bo-staff above my head at an angle, looking as if I was trying to block his attack, as I ducked and began to slide in between his legs.
Just as planned, the bo-staff was cut perfectly and was sharp at each side from the angle I held it up at. Not wasting time, I turned myself around and lunged at Shade once more, stabbing him in the back with the small portion left of the bo-staff. He shouted out in pain, and I turned to Jacob, who was now standing, looking confused on the situation. Perfect.
I pushed the bo-staff further into Shade's back and shoved him to the ground before running back.
"JAKE! DO YOUR LIGHTNING THING ON HIM!" I shouted over to Jake, as ran back from Shade.
Luckily, Jacob acted without question, and I watched as a gigantic bolt of lightning came down from the sky, landing directly on Shade.
I felt the ground shake from the impact, and the force of the strike pushed me back as thunder echoed through the air. I slowly stood and looked over at Shade. He was on the ground, unmoving. We were safe.