First of her kind

The Wilde family finally returned home. Judy and Nick were tired of an entire day's work. Violet was overexcited, for what happened today was unlike anything she had experienced before. She had never thought about which species she represented. It didn't bother her. Well... at least till now. Judy and Violet sat on the sofa in the living room.

"Mommy?" Violet suddenly asked.

"Yes, Dear?" Judy sharpened her ears, as she felt her daughter was worried.

"What species do I belong to?"

The last question made Judy feel a bit confused. What answer was she expected to pick? Violet was unique. She was the first of her kind. Now, the time has come at last... as Violet grew up, she developed her personality. Self – identity was something really important. No matter if it would affect her, Judy HAD to tell her something... she could not be able to hide it. After a short silence, Judy spoke:

"Vi... Why are you asking me this question?"

"Today, at the kindergarten, Donny told me I belonged to the rabbit – fox species" Violet turned at her mother with a questioning look. "But Erica said there was no such species".

"Oh..." Judy thought. Violet had barely turned four and she already attracted a lot of attention. But was It for good? Judy doubted.

"Vi..." she started. " You are a representative of a unique species." She said. "But, before you came, there was no one else like you... You're the first of your kind!"

"Really, Mommy?" Violet's eyes were wide – opened.

"Yes, Dear! You are the First and Only of your kind! And you are our little Miss Precious!" Judy rubbed her nose into Violet's. In response, Violet hugged her mother passionately.

"I love you so much, Mommy!" she exclaimed as she rubbed her fur into Judy's.

"Well, well, someone looks cheered up!" Nick laughed as he entered the living room. "Ohhh, how's my little Miss Precious?" he asked with a gentle smile. Violet grinned in response.

"Haha, Daddy, you're awesome as ever!"

Nick's eyes flashed at Judy's, as she took a look at him. He quickly caught his wife's puzzled expression. Something was amiss...

"Um, is everything okay?" Nick asked. "Sure, everything's fine" both girls responded at once. For a countless time, Judy was surprised by her daughter. Nick sat between them on the sofa and hugged them. Then, he turned at Violet and caressed her on the head. She pinched him with her sharp – tipped ears.

"Ouch! Careful, Scissors! You wounded me!" Nick pointed at something dark reddish, which painted his bright crimson fur. Judy froze at the sight.

"Daddy?" Violet asked.

"Oh... I don't feel very well... I think I'm gonna..." Nick fell with a crash on the ground.

"Dad!" Violet screamed. She turned appalingly at her mother. Judy just sighed, kneeled down to him and stopped his nostrils with her fingers. Some time passed. Suddenly, Nick made a strange sound, something between a growl and a chuckle. He grabbed Judy and Violet and snuggled them beside himself.

„Daddy? Are you okay?" Violet was full of fear.

„Sure, Precious. Let me show you somethin' „ he took out a small packet of ketchup. „It is a trick me and Mommy used to play during our first mutual theatrical production." His spoke with a touch of pride. "I was very good at it"

"Yeah, only you!" Judy shook her head."

"Said the funny – bunny, who fled the field." Nick giggled.