The Siege of the North pt2

"Ice under my heels, I hear it breaking
Under my heels, I hear it cracking
Foolish of me to think I had it"

__________

"I can't believe I lost him." Katzumi says

"You did everything you could and now we need to do everything we can to get him back."

The Group all get on Aapa's back

"Yip! Yip!"

Appa launches himself into the air and out of the sanctuary into the frozen, snowing wasteland above.

Zuko's feet tramps through the drifting snow, Aang's feet dragging behind him. Aang's eyes are still closed, but his tattoo arrow on his head glows white.

Aang is in a meditative pose as his eyes open. Aang sits on the platform amidst the swamp. Aang gets up and runs off the platform he looks around the swamp. Behind him is a small island. A temple like structure, like the one behind the pond in the Water Tribe sanctuary, but thicker and cruder, rests on top of the small island. Underneath the crossbar of the structure a figure sits cross-legged.

"Ohmm... Ohmmmm..."

Aang hears the chanting and runs up the island to the see a white haired monkey sitting in meditative repose. He wears a brown monk's shawl.

"Hello? I'm sorry to disturb you, but I just really need to find the Moon and the Ocean spirits." Aang asked

"Go... away." The monkey said

He pauses for a moment, then opens one eye at Aang.

"You're still here?"

"Yes! I need –" Aang was cut off

"Ohmm!! Ohmmm!"

A blue will-o'-the-wisp enters from the right, emitting a slight crystalline noise.

"Perhaps that thing will help you? Chase it!"

Aang runs after it. The mystical monkey keeps his eyes shut for a second more, then opens one to confirm Aang's departure. He shakes his head.

Aang chases the will-o'-the-wisp through the swamp. He chases it up a tree and out onto a large branch. He catches it, a huge smile on his face. As he does, the tree branch liquefies underneath him and he falls, screaming, to the water below and lands with a splash. As he lies in the water the will-o'-the-wisp gets away from him.

"Come back!"

He moves to follow the will-o'-the-wisp, but stops to look at the water. As the ripples from the splash dissipate an image forms where his own reflection should be. It is Avatar Roku.

"Hello, Aang." Roku greats

" Roku!"

After some steps, the ice underneath Zuko begins to crack and cave in. Within a few seconds most of the ground around him is collapsing. He begins to run with Aang on his back. He manages to keep just ahead of the yawning hole that his footsteps over thin ice have caused to appear. The hole finally stops expanding as Zuko trips and falls. They are now on the lip of a newly formed canyon. He looks ahead to see a rock ledge overhanging a small cave.

"Shelter!" Zuko yells

Zuko drags Aang inside by the collar. Outside the blizzard continues. He dumps him at the back of the cave and ties his hands behind his back with some of the rope he is carrying.