Kashmir

Haven had only been gone for an hour when a new thought crossed my head:

What are we doing to do about Carrie?

I quickly made up my mind and got dressed. I drove home and changed before driving to her house. I knocked on the door and seconds later, her maid opened it.

"Hi, Cason," Linda greeted me.

"Hey, Linda. I have a question for you."

"Is Carrie home?" She guessed.

"You know everything, don't you?"

"Well, not to get your hopes up, but she broke her promise to you last night. I mean, unless you were the one in her bedroom."

I sighed before saying, "I knew she wasn't going to keep her promise, Linda. She never does."

"I want to start looking for a job, but I don't even have a clue as where to begin."

I got an idea and said, "How about you do me a favor? Do you know Charles Night?"

"Oh my gosh, Charlie is such a nice man. I was so saddened to hear about-" She cut herself off.

"I know about it," I said gently.

"Well, at least, I didn't let the cat out of the bag."

"Well, his parent's estate is humongous, and I feel like he might like an old friend to help him," I said as I wrote down Haven's number and handed it to her. "That's Haven's because I actually don't know his. But she would probably be willing to connect you to him."

"Thank you, Cason. You are such a gentle soul."

I laughed, and she said, "Now, go break up with that girl."

I headed up the stairs and, without even knocking, walked into her room to find her tangled in the sheets with another guy.

"Cason!" She yelped.

"Save it, Carrie. I knew you weren't going to keep your promise," I said coldly. "That is why I am telling you that it's over. Forever, this time."