Old Time Rock and Roll

That evening, as I lay in bed with Old Time Rock and Roll blasting from my speakers, I let my mind drift

That evening, as I lay in bed with Old Time Rock and Roll blasting from my speakers, I let my mind drift. A faint memory from when we all of us were almost fifteen began playing in my mind:

We were the best of friends: me, Flynn, Kat, and Ryan.

We spent so much time together.

By this time, my dad and Kayla were already married and had been for like two years.

Carrie and Kat lived across from us.

Carrie was always hanging out with Jane, so Kat resorted to hanging out with us all the time.

Even back then, when we were in middle school, I knew Carrie liked me. She made it so obvious. She also made it obvious that she held a grudge against Kat for spending so much time with me and for taking a lot of my attention off of Carrie.

One day, Kat came to see me on her own.

"Hey, Kats," I greeted her.

"Can we talk, Case?" She asked softly, using her nickname for me.

"What's wrong?" I asked, worried.

"I'm scared," She whispered.

"What are you scared of, Kats?"

"There's this girl at school named Chrissy. She's really pretty and I think I want to kiss her. Every time I look at her, I want to kiss her."

"What's wrong with that?" I asked.

"Mom and dad would kill me if I ever said that I think I'm gay. They would say that there's no such thing."

I noticed her parents standing on the driveway across from us and asked, "Do you think they know?"

"That's why I came here. They confronted me about it right before I came over here."

"What do you think would happen if we convinced them that you weren't?"

"How would we do that, Case?" She asked dryly.

"I don't know. Have them catch you kissing a boy or something. I'm not good at planning  or ideas and stuff."