Seventeen

With my head held high I sat down on my haunches and watched as the truth sank in. The horns on my head and wings on my back was enough to convince any that I had more than just wolf blood. With a wolfish grin I looked at them as my eyes blackened over.

Their faces showed mixed emotions of surprise and interest. Unlike the wolves, they did not find my mixed heritage as disgusting. My grandfather, however, looked as though he was about to blow a fuse.

I shifted back before turning towards him. "Now that I've shown my face and announced myself to the Empire... I really need to go and finish my duties. Treaties don't write themselves."

My phone started ringing in that moment, blaring in the silent room. Dragons did not have need for phones as they communicated through letters and vocal sounds when in their much less human form.

"Macey King, speak or I rip your throat out when next we meet."

"Macey, it's Melanie. The wolves are retaliating. We need you to..."

"Put up a forcefield around the clans. I'll be there soon."

I hanged up and stepped towards the exit, only to be stopped by the Slitherid Royal.

"My name is Soler. How about considering me for a mate?"

I gave him a once over with a slight smile.

"I'd rather choke on my own spit." I looked to my wrist that held no watch. "Oh look." I held my wrist for him to see. "I'm running late. You're charming and all with that I adore you look in your eyes, but I really must go flail some irritating werewolves and use their skins to decorate my room."

I attempted to step past him as my wings spread from my back while the doors opened for me. He blocked me again.

"One little outing is all I ask of you." he said with a charming smile.

"Step aside." I warned.

"What if I refuse?"

"I would suggest you step aside, brother. She seems irritable."

"What could she do to m..."

My fist shot out fast and lit aflame at the same time, he dodged just a moment in time.

"Hah, you almost had me."

My eyes narrowed at him and I grabbed him by the chin, my fingers digging into his cheeks.

"Look here, dumb fuck. I write the treaties. I make them happen. As of this moment I need to return and hold my end of the bargain. I have never failed at keeping my word and I will not be starting with failing today because of a prick with a stupid amount of self concern and narcissism. Believe me, your aura reeks of that enough to give me a migraine. So step the fuck aside, or stand in my way and be burned to ashes. Either way, I will get past you in the next five seconds."

To add emphasis my hand lit on fire and burned into his skin with a searing and intense heat. He moved out of the way reluctantly, his aura bleeding intense interest and need.

I arrived within a few minutes, hovering above the crowd with my eyes on the werewolves who were stalking around the forcefield. Looking towards the back of them I watched with growing fury as they encircled children that had not been fast enough to get to safety. Turning my head, I spotted the Alpha quickly.

At my need to protect the clans, my powers reacted and placed rings of fire around the clans and the cornered children.

"I warned you." My voice rang out in anger over the fields. "I told you that you would pay for your insubordination should you choose to disobey me again."