Forty Nine

"Shut up, stupid fox." I ground out. I walked back to where my young sons each stood. Though they did not have my blood, they did have parts of my soul. I had given them each enough of my power to make sure that they would be strong enough to stand on their own.

They stepped back, obviously scared by my horned and scaled appearance. My power had grown again, no matter how much I had poured into Celestia's body it still did not take away how much of it had grown. The thing was just that my own body had eaten into the power instead of the body I had tried to sustain. My power was too strong for the charms that kept my power dampened.

I looked down to see the charms deteriorate as they crumbled from my wrists, feeling the scales slowly take form on my skin. My eyes were shifted, one seeing in negative colours, seeing scents in the air while the other saw farther, deeper, better. The horns on my head were thick, almost like that of an antelope, adding to my new height. Seeing the fright of the children I closed my eyes, thinking of how I'd summoned my wolf half while in Celestia's body. It took some time, most of it with the children whimpering behind Dusk, but I could finally feel it. I could feel my power reign in until the scales on my body were kept to being only below my armour and the horns on my head had retracted enough to be barely visible through my red hair.

I opened my eyes, finding the world less sharply contrasted than before.

"My, my, she's learned to reign in her powers."

"There's no need to be afraid of me. I am still your mother, even if I am not in a body that you know."

The continued to hide from me, and I reluctantly sighed, standing up to face Dusk, who was glaring at me.

"You're leaving us." He stated, and I could make out the sight of hostility in his aura without shifting my eyes.

"If she stays you and your sons will be in danger," Gaelik said, a frown present on his brow.

"In danger?" I heard Marcellus speak for the first time. "From what, exactly?"

"Unlike humans, we retain very animistic behaviours. This includes being protective and territorial, especially over our females." Gem smirked as he watched me roll my eyes at him. "And we mate for life. If we feel another male is a threat to such a bond, we will attack to reclaim what is ours. The same can be said for the males who desire a female. They will do everything in their power to take the female they want. Unfortunately for you, though she married you and spent a few years with you, it formed a bond with your counterpart who is very ready to rip you limb from limb."

I looked to where Deimios stood, his eyes zeroed in on the children, his jaw clenched.

"And two other males have vyed for her interest. You being the male who she mated with makes you the prime target. Along with your sons. Since, of course, you are the one she chose."

"How does that affect us?" Marcellus asked with a frown on his brow.

"I may be strong enough to fend off Deimios to some point, but the other two I have yet to face off against. I had not been able to gauge if I can stop them or not."

"But you're undefeatable. How can they...?"

"Insolent human." Gaelik showed his disgust again. 

I stood, my eyes lingering on Dusk a moment before I turned to Marcellus. I gave him a slight bow, turned to the Morningstar and Zkaldkin families, doing the same towards them as well.

"It was my pleasure to know you. It is time for my return. My the gods forever favour you."

The sound came the same moment I had turned to suggest we leave. I heard the sound of bones shifting, skin stretching and shifting and of wings stretching out wide. I turned, but not fast enough.