Keep Up

I get out my car and walk into the hospital. I received a call saying that my mom had been in a terrible accident. I walked in to the hospital.

"Excuse me I'm looking for Tasha Wilks." I tell the lady at the desk.

"Yes she's in the emergency room you can wait in the waiting room." She suggests. I nod. When I go to the waiting area I see my brother Troy.

"Troy." I say.

"Yeah." He mumbles.

"What are they saying about mom?" I ask.

"I don't know yet no one told me anything yet." He says put his head in his hands.

"Excuse me. Family of Tasha Wilks?" The doctor says. I stand up.

"That's us." I say.

"Your mother has lost a lot of blood. We need a relative with the same blood to donate some to her as soon as possible." He explains.

"I'll donate some blood." I say.

"Okay right this way." He says. I nod and follow him to the blood bank in the hospital.

"Take a seat ma'am. I didn't catch your name." He says.

"Tori. My name is Tori." I tell the doctor.

"Well Tori. I'm going to need you to sit down right here so we can match you and your mom's blood." He tells me.

"Okay sounds simple." I say nodding. He takes some blood then looks at the other vial of blood under the microscope comparing. He looks at me in a strange way.

"Is there something wrong doc?" I ask.

"Are you sure you're related to Tasha Wilks?" He asks me.

"Of course I am. It's on my birth certificate." I laugh nervously.

"I'm sorry Tori but that's not what the blood says. You're not Tasha's daughter. We'll find blood for Tasha it's okay." He tells me. I walk back to the waiting area and sit next to Troy. I just break down and start crying.

"What's wrong Tori?" Troy asks.

"Do you know too?" I ask him.

"Know what?" He asks clueless.

"Do you know I'm not related to mom?" I ask.

"Yeah, but Tori listen out sh-" I cut him off.

"No. I'm not family. Why should I be here?" I say my face filled with tears.

"Tori wait!" Troy yells as I run outside to my car. I can't believe all these years I've been living a lie. It's too much. The woman I've been calling my mother isn't even my mother..