Shattered [PART TWO]

Over the coming month, you had gained Steve's trust quite well. He stopped cuffing you and let you go around the house on your own after sometime with a few restrictions. You never broke any of his rules and you took this gradually so he wouldn't be suspicious of you. Luckily, Steve hadn't forced himself on you yet. You yourself kissed him a couple of times but he never started anything. He slept in a different room which was locked at all times, and so were most of the other rooms. The house was locked at all times so no windows or doors were ever open in front of you. There was an automated circulation system that kept the house air fresh and even the vents were intelligently integrated in the house structure so you couldn't exactly get through them.

You were currently sitting on the couch, watching TV. "Do you want to sleep in my room tonight?" He asked. He had been waiting patiently for a month, waiting for you to come to him yourself. But having had waited enough, he finally asked himself. You two had slept together a few times before at the tower but Steve understood the impact that this whole experience must've had on you and gave you the time you needed.

You nodded, "But..."

"I won't do anything, just want to hold you in my arms tonight. Is that okay?" He asked. You nodded again.

***

Since then, you started sleeping in Steve's room with him. As promised, he didn't do anything other than kissing you and holding you.

From his point of view, he had you with him for the rest of your life now. He had plenty of time so he took things slow. Like you were planning on gaining his trust, he was planning on gaining your love.

On the third night though, both you and Steve were woken up by the sound of a phone ringing. You pretended to be asleep as Steve got up from the bed and left the room. It was strange, you hadn't heard a phone nor had noticed Steve talking or using a phone in your stay here. But again, there was a big fraction of the house that you hadn't yet seen.

Once you heard Steve's footsteps follow the sound of the phone, you got up from your bed and carefully followed him. You heard Steve's muffled voice through the door and stuck your ear to it. Your eyes widened when you heard another voice. It was a female.

"It's Mr. Miller. He has been insisting Y/N for the past week to meet him, says he's worried about him."

"You woke me up for this? You can't handle this?" Steve spoke and he sounded irked.

"My apologies, sir. But he told Y/N that he'll track down his phone's location and come look for him if Y/N doesn't come to see him by tomorrow." You furrowed your brows.

"Fine. Let me hear it." Steve said.

Tears brimmed your eyes upon hearing Ethan's voice. He sounded so worried for you. But what you thought was a voicemail had you perplexed when you heard another voice on the line.

It was yours. Ethan was talking to you... everything suddenly made sense. The female voice in the room was FRIDAY. And she was the one mimicking your voice to talk to Ethan.

An involuntary sob left your mouth and the door the room suddenly opened. The room looked like an office. But before you could take in more of what was inside, your eyes locked on Steve's blue ones who was standing in front of you now.

"How could you?" You asked as tears ran down your face. The question sounded absurd, knowing all the things Steve had done up until now.

"Come on, let's go back to the room." He asked and put a hand on your shoulder. Something caught your eye. You could see a mark on one of the shelves on a bookshelf in the room. It was a symbol which everyone in the team knew meant weapons. Tony kept some guns in a few spots throughout the tower. Tony used a bunch of symbols so people could locate the weapons easily in case of need.

You knew there was a high possibility that Steve must've gotten rid of the weapon but adrenaline was gushing through your veins and found it hard to think everything through at the moment.

You pushed at Steve with all you had. He was caught off guard and you managed to get in the room. You grabbed the book and found a gun behind it.

You heard Steve's footsteps behind you as he gathered himself and ran over to you. You quickly grabbed the gun and turned around. He was much closer for you to aim so you tried for his heart and pulled the trigger.

It hit his shoulder and seemed to not even phase him a bit. He continued towards you and threw off the gun from your hand. You launched a punch but he was quicker and stronger. He grabbed your hand and the last thing you saw before passing out was his fist.

***Present Day***

You were going crazy. You had cried for so long that your tears glands seemed to have dried up. Either that, or your skin had become too numb to feel any tears against it. You cursed yourself over and over for shooting at Steve, not even remembering why you did it now.

You wanted to get out of this room, to lay down on the soft bed with Steve's warmth. You just didn't want to be alone anymore.

Steve's approaching footsteps caught your ear and you sat up when you saw Steve walk into the room with a plate that had food on it. You gulped and grabbed one of his legs when he turned to leave. "Please..." you sobbed. "I won't do it again... please, I'm sorry. Don't leave me here." You begged. "I'll do anything, I swear. Just get me out of here."

Steve looked at you for a brief moment before leaving the room.

He came back a few minutes after and walked to your bed. He unlocked the cuffs and put his arm under your knees, lifting you up. "Alright, let's get you out of here." He said.

You curled up and buried your face in his chest as he walked upstairs and the light suddenly hit your eyes which were used to the dim lighting of the basement now.

Steve smiled to himself. His plan had worked, you were broken. But he didn't need to worry about it, because he was going to fix you. He was going to put you back together the way he liked.