Bonus Chapter: Forever Together

To have worked in the field for the majority of his life and have seen so many people die, Brian had always wondered what they had truly felt at the moment. What they'd seen, heard, and thought of. A partner of his had told him that people dream of things they love when they die, this was way back when he was still training to come up in ranks in HYDRA. He had laughed at his partner for being a wuss to have come up with such stuff. They just die dumbhead, he'd said and that was one sentence that still sometimes echoed through his head. Because years later when Brian saw his partner die in front of him, he didn't want to believe that he'd just died. He truly wished that he was dreaming instead and dreaming for an eternity of all the beautiful things he liked. He'd also wondered if his partner had thought of him in his last moments, if he had seen his face and smiled. That was all he had hoped for.

Brian knew he was dead now, that was one thing he was certain about. Almost certain, at least. He was back at the beach house and you were sleeping in his arms, the wind teasing the windchime as its chimes echoed through the room ever so lightly and if he paid enough attention, he could make a rhythm out of it to go with your even breathing. The absurdity of it all, of having defied the mission and having risked everything to be with you only to make out tunes of random notes and chimes on a breezy afternoon. It was stupid and lovely at the same time and it could only mean he was dead.

But stupid meant he could have you in his arms like this, he was ready to do it all over again, and forget about everything else.

He was ready to forget everything, of the moments he had lived before and he was ready to take this day as it came to him without question. He was just somehow back in the moment he had cherished the remaining years of his life and he wasn't complaining. He soon found another soothing backtrack to the beautiful hum of his own creation, the quiet waves of the ocean that danced against the sandy coastline a little further from their balcony. Looking back, he wished he could've trusted you enough to let you out and have a nice day at the beach. Hell, if he knew his days there with you were to be so few, he would've. But he could now. He had a second chance.

The dream wasn't a dream, just another somehow that had brought him back the love of his life in his arms. The dream was a reality that had bent itself to relive itself again because, and he could swear on his name on this, this had to be the most beautiful memory in all of the universe's existence anyone's ever had. He really was the luckiest of them all.

"Steve, I'm cold," He heard you stir up, moving closer towards him and trying to pull up the covers using your feet. He was up at once, after all he couldn't have you get sick, and closed the french doors and pulled up the covers over you before getting inside with you. He laid down and tugged your head from the pillow and pulled you closer to him, putting your head on his chest. 

"You ready to wake up yet?" He whispered and chuckled when you just snuggled closer with a mumbled answer that made absolutely no sense to him. He couldn't wait for you to wake up and talk to you, to watch you look at him and smile as you ate together, and to watch a movie you'd get bored of after a while even though you were the one to have picked it and you'd retire to bed, asking him to read to you. He was half-ready to wake you already but he knew you'd had an extremely exhausting few days before you'd been able to settle down here and accept him as your only reality. It was a difficult journey but he had guided you through it and now that you were just there, you needed all the rest to build yourself back up and be the Y/N he had fallen for. 

He hadn't even noticed when he fell asleep and was surprised when he woke up to you moving a bit, groaning as you stretched your legs against his. He closed his eyes again for a moment but woke up completely when you sat up. 

"Did you sleep well?" He said, smiling as he rubbed your back and chuckled when you nodded. "You were out like a candle, do you want some water?" 

"How long did I sleep?"