A story's magic

Do you believe in magic? I do. ^^

It was night time when the family returned home. Judy was so tired that she headed straight to her bed and fell down with a crash on the mattress. Almost instantly, she fell asleep. Unlike Nick, who was representative of a nocturnal species, Judy died for a rest every time nightfall came. Violet stared curiously at her mother as she breathed hard and snored. Then, she felt her father's paw caressing her head.

"Violet, Dear!" Nick murmured softly. "Your mother needs to rest now."

Violet looked at her father and grinned in her usual childish manner. She then started twisting in Nick's arms, as she tried to get down on the floor.

"Now, now, you need to go to bed as well!" Nick reminded her. "Let's go to sleep!" he added, as they went through the corridor. They entered the bedroom and Nick put her to sleep. But right after this, Violet started sniffing. Her eyes filled with tears and she was ready to start crying.

"Violet? What is wrong?" Nick asked, as he stood surprised by the way his daughter reacted. Violet had never behaved like this before. After a few moments of hesitation, Nick realized what Violet wanted. She did not want to go to sleep the way her mother did. Her father felt she tried to resist the fatigue, which overwhelmed her. But he also knew she needed to go to sleep. It was essential for her. All of a sudden, Nick came up with a brilliant idea.

"Ready, Violet? We're taking off!" he spoke to her as he picked her up from the bed and turned round.

"Whizzzz!" Nick grinned at Violet as he went out of the bedroom and started spinning in the corridor

"Whizzzz!" Nick grinned at Violet as he went out of the bedroom and started spinning in the corridor. Firstly, she looked more like pissed off from being whirled so much time in the air. But soon she realized how many interesting stuff there was. Violet spotted something on the medium – sized wardrobe and pointed out at it with her sweetly – small fingers, as she began twisting again in an attempt to draw her father's attention. Nick quickly got it:

"Oh, you're admiring my drums?" Nick guessed "They are very special to me, I admit. Let me tell you a story, little one."

"Once upon a time, there was a little fox. He had a nice red fur, beautiful green eyes, a tough character and exemplary manners. He liked everything, especially music! But there was one thing he disliked..." Nick sighed, as he remembered his past, when he felt uneasy. He just prayed that Violet could live happily, with no difficulties like his.

Nick took a deep breath and continued his story:

"He was a predator, the only one in his district. Everyone else was herbivores. Because of this, most of his mates avoided him. They feared him. They thought he would threaten them. Every time the fox appeared and growled, everyone started screaming and running around. He thought it was funny and chased them across the streets. But they just avoided him. The fox could not understand why his mates did this. He just wanted to make some friends. He didn't know that growling was not like laughing... Moreover, he was a brilliant drums player. He had a wonderful set of drums and he played on them regularly, this is why he had mastered the melodies and found it no hard to combine sophisticated rhythms with speed. There was no one else better than him at that. The fox was proud of his skills. And yet... he was... alone. That was until he turned 10. There was a band at school, which head was a giraffe by the name of Rick. He played on a guitar and sang very well. But there was more – unlike most of their classmates, Rick was open – minded. One day, he came at the fox and asked him:

"You are an excellent drummer! Do you wish to join our band?"

"Well, I'd love to" the fox accepted and he became part of the band. Firstly, most of the members looked at him with disbelief and suspicion. But he wanted to prove he was not just a predator of his kind, but also could fit into their lifestyle. The fox perfectly realized it was not easy to be accepted when you are entirely different and it would be a complete foolishness to try and use your pros against the group. The fox's long sharp claws and teeth, as well as well – developed night vision, gave him great advantages, especially at night. Moreover, it would be unwise to forcefully make them to accept him. He had to prove he is worthy, and not by complaining or growling or implementing force (the fox could easily do so by just alerting the principal of the school that they discriminated him, then they would all be punished). But that was NOT the point! He had to PROVE himself!

And he did so. He held his politeness and friendly behavior to the level. He continued playing the drums and sticking to the band's plans. After a while, they started trusting him. Finally! The fox had made some friends!

Soon, the band started performances, which made it quite popular in the district. And later – in town. The band was called "The Black Raiders". And as its members grew in age, the band grew in number as well. The fox was then able to make a lot of friends. In fact, everyone now wanted to be friends with him.

The fox finally managed to affiliate – and since then, no one has ever cared that he is actually a predator. He managed to become a popular drummer.

And everyone lived happily!" Nick ended his story with a touch of pride. And when he looked at Violet, tears appeared in his eyes. His daughter had fallen asleep in his arms. She was a little soft cutie, diapered in pink – white baby clothes. Violet's closed eyes and flickering smile made Nick feel as the most blessed mammal on Earth. Yes, truly, Violet was his little treasure. Did she hear the ending? Nick doubted.

But one was for sure. Violet would remember this story. And one day, when she grows up, she would tell it to her children. But until then...

"I promise I'll do my best to make your life the best, Violet! I swear!" Nick said, as he gently kissed his daughter's forehead. Then, he entered the bedroom, put her to bed and covered her with a blanket. "Good night, sweetheart!" he said as he was leaving the bedroom.

Did Violet hear him? She smiled in her dreams and hugged the blanket.