Scars

Day 19: Scars

Diarmuid yawned, shutting his eyes tight as he made his way towards the kitchen. Lazily and groggily, he fixed himself a cup of coffee for the lazy Saturday morning. Glancing at the green numbers on the stove, he yawned again, it wasn't early but it wasn't late either.

A pair of arms wrapped around his waist and he couldn't help but smile. "You're up early?"

"It's nine in the morning," she scoffed.

"You usually wake up late on Saturdays," he laughed, causing Arturia to whine.

She slipped her arms from his waist and he felt her cool finger on his bare back. He flinched once he felt her touch his scar. Turning around, he took her hand, lifting a brow in a questioning manner.

"It doesn't hurt right?" Arturia asked, concern lacing her words as her brows furrowed. "Right?"

"No, Artie, it doesn't." Bringing her into a hug, he kissed the top of her head. "I got it a long, long time ago."

"You got that one because of the boar, am I right?"

He nodded, "We shouldn't worry about it, it's in the past now."

Pulling away, she reached out to the many scars he had littering his torso and arms. It pained her to see him so battered. "This one was from getting into a fight with Cu, and the one was from when you fell from that tree."

She had a great memory. One night, a little after the war, when they laid in bed talking, they'd talked about every scar they had and how they got them. Some were funny stories and some were painful. Diarmuid had gotten his fair share of scars from his time as a knight that he found it a wonder how Arturia knew where he had gotten each of them.

"And this one," she pointed at the big one on his chest, right over his diaphragm, so unsaturated in colour and different from the rest, "that one was because of Fionn." Anger laced her every word and he could tell she felt strongly about the man, to the point that he'd never seen her so wrathful.

"Darling," he took a hold of her chin and brought her gaze up to his eyes, "you needn't worry about him. We just...its just about us now, okay?"

"If anyone else gives you a scar, I will be forced to end their life."

"There's no reason to do that, darling. We need to focus on us."

Nodding, Arturia pulled him into a hug and they stood there for a short while, enjoying the moment.

"Would you like me to make you breakfast?" Diarmuid asked, ruffling her hair.

"Is that even a question?" She scoffed, kissing his cheek. "I'll go take a shower now, then we can go out to the lake, yeah?"