The night of passion

Arven’s POV
The day after my last conversation with Michael, I moved in to my new house. Intentionally I picked a house near the Harrison corporation  because I still plan on working there. I signed an official contract with Michael, I can't just ignore it. 
Speaking of Michael, his change of behavior was to the point that I thought I was talking to a brand new model of Michael Harrison completely remodeled and upgraded into a kind and very brotherly version of him. Unlike usual he was nice and kept apologizing and smiling to me which was very new. I’d say it was  because he found out about my hacking abilities and like father, like son I guess. Though I don’t trust him but I can’t completely ignore him because I still need his help if I am to get to Charvet. Anyway I didn’t really have much things to move here, except for my laptop and the small luggage I had with me the day I was brought to Harrison house. I also managed to buy a few things that’s necessary for a new house. I purchased them all online and lucky me they had a free delivery.
It feels good to have a place of your own, where you don’t have to worry about someone banging  on your door every once in a few days and ask for money. 
Michael was about to send some people to help me but I refused him.  there are times when the stupid part of  my subconscious wants to force me to believe that he is being honest and that he is worried about me. But the truth is he is not. I mean he clearly has no reason to like me, since I'm Yuri's daughter, the woman that tore Michael's loving family apart. But I still feel like a happy fool when he smiles at me tenderly. It’s what you get when you grow up with a family complex. You start hallucinating that you have a caring brother but the actual thing is a narcissistic who only cares about himself. 
 Better make some lunch, I’m starving. But I should go shopping first. I take the keys and open the door to leave when I suddenly bump into someone, standing right in front of the door. What the hell? Who would stand right behind someone else’s doorstep? I look up to see their face. 
“ Hello miss Li. Or should I say miss Harrison?” He says with a flashy smile, and the same annoying mischief he puts in his voice. Edward. 
“ What the hell are you doing here?” I ask, my jaw dropping down to see him here.  What is he a stalker? 
I just moved in.” He says bringing up his keys and swinging them in front of my eyes, pointing his head towards the unit in front of mine. I can’t believe he bought one of the units here. I’m practically speechless. I don’t even know how am I supposed to feel right now. Annoyed because he just did what he wanted without even telling me? Confused because I don’t know how he knew I was coming here and how he even managed to get a unit right in front of mine? Or maybe embarrassed because I still remember that I so voluntarily allowed him to kiss me while I know he doesn’t feel anything for me? Well the last one seems to overpower other sentiments. While I’m fighting this hard battle of trying to hide away these emotions, Edward doesn’t seem to show the slightest bit of change in his behavior. As I thought he doesn’t care about what happened that night, maybe he doesn’t even remember it and here I am, fumbling over it like a fool. 
”What’s wrong? you’re so happy to see me you forgot how to talk?” He asks in his usual british accent. 
”Yeah right.” I answer, trying to evade him. I only told Michael that I was moving out, yesterday. And I didn’t even give him the address, so how did he find out? 
“I told Michael I didn’t need his help. He’s got some nerve, sending YOU of all people.” I state annoyed and he tilts his head, confused.
”Michael didn’t send me. He didn’t even know where you were going.” 
“How did you find this place then?You even bought one of the units?” He seems to take his time to answer my question and I grow annoyed. He opens his mouth for a second but then closes it again, only to add to my annoyance.
“I might have followed you when you went out to visit the place.” He says and I sigh.
“Of course you did.” I put my hand on my forehead trying to calm down.
”Oh come on, don’t make that face. You didn’t seem to dislike me so much the other night.” He says reminding me of the night I thought he had forgotten about. Ugh the nerve of this guy. While I try to come up with something to say he breaks the silence again.
”Anyway, where were you going? Shopping? I’ll go with you and help you carry your things and you cook your new neighbor a meal. Deal?” He says cheerfully, changing the subject. 
”Fair enough.” I give up. It’s too hard to push him off. Besides I was already going to make some lunch, I wouldn’t mind making  it for two people. He smiles upon my answer and we walk out of the complex. After we’re done with shopping he helps me with the bags as we walk back to my apartment. In the way he tells me about his not so refined cooking skills and how he messed up making an omelette rice by putting too much pepper in it. I can’t help but smile while he talks of his cooking experiences. We get back to the apartment and I start cooking, while he unpacks all the bags and puts them in their place. We’re starting to look like a couple who live together. Well let’s keep that idea a secret from a certain someone. 
“What are you making?” He asks, suddenly appearing behind me, and throwing his arm my on shoulder. I try to stay calm, hoping he doesn’t notice how fast my heart is beating. He is too close, I can feel his breath on the nip of my neck. Please don’t notice how nervous I feel. Too bad I can already feel his lips, curling up into a smile. Damn he is sharp. 
”fried vegetables and omelette rice.” I reply, pushing his hand off, and he chuckles.
“Guess I’ll set the table then.” He says after a while when it’s almost ready. In a few minutes everything is set and we start eating. It feels good to eat what you cooked for yourself. Back at Harrison they never let me touch anything. As soon as I appeared in the kitchen, all the maids gathered around me, asking if I wanted something and if I told them I was hungry they’d force me to sit down and wait for them to prepare something.
“Wow this is good.” He says after taking a few bites. To be honest I am glad we’re sharing this meal. I can’t remember the last time I had a meal with someone. I was already living alone for about six months and even when I was brought to Harrison house, I always had my meals alone in complete silence. So right now, the few simple dishes I’m sharing with Edward feels very enjoyable. 
“So...” He brings my attention to him and I look up.
”Michael told me you were moving and he also told me about what you did to make Harrison win the contract.” Of course he did. 
“But where did you get the money to buy this house and all these things? I imagine you paid Lia a handsome amount of money too. And here I thought you were broke!” 
”Oh, Um... Ever since my mom passed, I’ve been working on this entertainment app I designed. I published it online a few months ago, and when it grew popular I received a legal request from a software company. They wanted to buy the app and develop its content and since I needed money, I grabbed the offer. And that’s how I got the money to buy this place."
“You even design applications?” He asks, his eyes wide open, still not able to hide his surprised expression.
”Occasionally.” I answer nonchalantly.
”I am appalled.” He says, trying to sound astonished while raising his eye brows and deepening his voice. His funny gesture makes me laugh. 
“ You’re not going to ask what Lia did for me?” I ask after a few minutes of silence. I’m surprised he didn’t take the initiative to bring this up. 
“ I imagine it has something to do with Charvet, but you made it clear that you don’t wanna tell me about it. So I won’t force you.” That’s right. I told him I won’t answer his questions if he doesn’t answer mine. Hearing his answer makes me sad though. It feels like he is staying out of my business because he wants me to do the same. Like he wants to keep the distance between us. The past he is so desperately trying to keep to himself must contain a lot of dark and sad memories. I wonder if he’ll ever let me in on those secrets. Wait, it was me who didn’t want him to bother me with his questions and now that he is complying to my wishes I feel sad? What am I, Crazy? I feel like a walking contradiction. I am seriously going crazy here and it’s all his fault. Again I try my best to keep all these stupid emotions from showing on my face. But being the smart ass guy that he is, he looks like he is seeing right through me. I know that face. A flashy smile with a sharp gaze in his eyes, he knows exactly what’s going on with me, but he only seems to enjoy it.
“What’s wrong?” He asks. Bastard. 
“Stop grinning at me, you’re freaking me out.”  I demand but he laughs, getting up from his chair and taking the dishes to the sink. After washing them he thanks me for the meal and turns to leave the house.
“Try not to go out too much, it might be dangerous. And if you felt the need to leave the house, let me know beforehand. Remember there are people following you around. I took care of it but there maybe more of them so be careful."  He says with his hand on the doorknob. Then he waves at me before leaving the room. Edward has warned me many times now, that there are people following me around. He said they were probably Charvet’s men and knowing him he will definitely try to get back at me. He didn’t tell me how he knows Charvet though. 
Days pass and my life starts to look as normal as it could ever be. Edward visits me quite often and sometimes we share meals. He told me that he had found the location that Charvet is going to do a massive drug deal. He also said that Michael is working with a local detective so they can catch him redhanded with no chance of tricking the law. The way he explained, it seemed like a big operation was about to start. He was very elaborate about everything and it looked like they have everything planned out but I still feel like something is missing. Something important. In trying to investigate the matter, I hacked into my mom’s mail, hoping I could get my hands on something new, but there was nothing in there. I also shared the information I had previously obtained with Michael and Mr detective only to confirm their doubts about the date and location of the deal. Given the way I obtained the information, Michael told me that we can’t share them with any legal organizations because there’s a chance that my identity could be revealed and of course since hacking is illegal I would have to go to jail for it. I’m surprised he actually cares about this since I thought he only wanted to use me for his own good. But now he really seems to want to protect me. Actually they both do. It’s saturday and Michael is going to pay me a visit. He said he has some things to tell me about. While I work with my laptop I here a knock on the door and get up to open the door
"Good evening.” Michael says as he comes in.
”Hi!” I answer and invite him to take a seat. 
“How is your operation with Mr detective going on?” I ask as I put down a cup of tea in front of him.
”It’s going smoothly, thanks to your information and Edward’s efforts. We intend to publish the information we gathered right before the deal starts. Once it gets public, the cops will be there in no time, and the media will become sensitive towards them and they won't be able to cover it up.” I'm relieved to hear this. Michael's  expression turns serious and I know he wants to start telling me something important.
”Well what did you want to talk to me about?” 
“I just wanted to tell you a few things I managed to gather. About the past.” I nod and he continues.
”First, let me confirm a few things.” 
“Do you know who established Pulse corps?” He asks and I shake my head. I know it's current president and directors but I don’t have much info about it’s history. 
“Pulse corps was established about 40 years ago by Sam Allen. He wasn’t a businessman until after he married into a very rich family and used them to start a company . It was slowly developed into the corporation it is now. After Sam, his legacy was left to his wife’s family because he had no children, and it was developed to it’s current form. I know you’re wandering why I’m so desperate in trying to beat their illegal system, but in truth it was Pulse who started this fight. At first they started buying lands and markets  right beside our properties. And then they started participating in every single deal that we took part in. I thought it was merely them being our rival company but then it got worse and worse to the point that it’s obvious they wish to demolish Harrison for good. I even tried negotiating with them, but it didn’t work. they are offensively trying to put us in a bind. While I was trying to figure out why are they doing this, I met Edward. He came to me. And told me things that turned this story upside down. He said that this game was started in our father’s time. He told me about a man that he used to work with. A criminal and the leader of a large gang that secretly worked with Pulse to do their illegal biddings. Drug deals, armories, and even hacking. He talked to me about the existence of a large association that I never knew about. He revealed to me that it is this very gang that is moving the strings against Harrison but even he didn’t know the reason for it. He said the leader of the gang, a man called Jason, is the one who wants Harrison out of the picture. Due to his control over Pulse’s important directors, including Charvet he has managed  to mobilize both his gang and Pulse Corps against us. After meeting Edward, I started digging up the past, about my fathers secrets and what he did to fend off this threat.  And in the process I found about you and Lily.” He stops, trying to read my expression.
”So based on what you’re saying, Edward was part of that gang?” 
“That’s right. He told me that he left them behind.” What? so Miachel knows about Edward’s past? That makes me the only one in the dark. I don't think it's right for me to ask him for more details.
“Arven.” Michael’s voice ecos in the silent room and brings me out of my thought
”Edward told me that there are people following you. Although I’m sure he will keep you safe, but I think it’s better if you went back to Harrison house. At least until things are settled down.” He is furrowing his brows and giving me a serious look. I can see concern in his deep blue eyes. But I don’t think I can agree to his offer, not after all I did to earn myself a house. 
"It's fine. I don't really go out these days and when I do, Edward comes with me."  As if expecting this answer he sighs. 
" Is it because of me? Or Jenna? I'm sorry about her. Because I refuse to tell her about our relationship she tends to get nervous around you."  He explains. So that's why Jenna hates me. She suspects my relationship with Michael. 
 "It has nothing to do with you or Jenna. Going back there...  just doesn't feel right." It's not my home. And somehow after learning the truth about Charles and Yuri, I can't feel indifferent towards that place. It's not that I feel guilty but just uncomforable.
I ask Michael a few more questions and He answers them patiently but I know that a very important piece is still missing. I want to know the reason why Edward left that gang?? Why is he keeping his past a secret? I know I’m being nosy but I want to help him, I want to get to know him but he never lets me in his secrets, he never lets down all the walls around his heart and this fact breaks my heart. I have come to care for him  but he clearly doesn’t see me in that light. He touches me gently and kisses me but that’s what he does with other women too. That’s why I want him to tell me about his past. I want to prove this to myself that I am different from others. But I have made little progress. 
Speaking of Edward, I’d better go check up on him. He has'nt showed up since yesterday. Mike said that he was busy following Charvet around and planning the operation.
For safety measures we both have the key to each others units so after a few times of knocking, I use the key to enter his house. It’s actually my first time here. He occasionally visited me for no reason but I never had the opportunity to see his place. Just like my apartment, there is a small kitchen on the left corner with the living room right beside it. There is also one bedroom on the right corner.
The next thing that catches my eyes is Edward’s frame, lounging on the couch with a bottle of beer in his hand. I can only see the back of his head, but he’s probably asleep since he didn’t respond when I knocked on the door. I step closer, careful not to wake him up. The bottle he’s barely holding is about to fall off the ground. I’d better take it away or it will break. 
“Don’t worry, I’ not gonna drop it.” He says. His sudden voice startles me and I stand right up. He seems drunk. I sit down beside him and try to come up with something to break the awkward silence but I cannot seem to find the right words. After a good amount of time, he sighs, then lets out an awkward laugh. 
“Why did you come here? Were you worried about me?” He says teasingly but he is right on point. 
“What if I was?” I ask and he seems surprised to hear me admit it. I’m tired of running away. I’m tired of hiding and denying what I know is the truth in my heart. It doesn’t matter if he doesn’t see me that way, I can’t stop the picking of my heart when he looks at me. I can’t stop thinking about him, when he speaks to me in his husky voice. I can’t. Not anymore. Because I love him. I've known him for a couple of months now but I'm not sure when it started. Maybe when he saved me from that burning storehouse, when he took care of my wounds, or maybe when he came looking for me on that winter night. It's ok if he doesn't want me to know about his past. I can love the man he is now even if I don't know who he used to be.
 "you remember the time you asked me about my past?” His voice snaps me out of thoughts and I nod. He smiles at me. A bittersweet smile.
”It’s a reallllly long  story... Do you still want to hear it?" His question surprises me. He wants to tell me? 
“I want to hear it.” I answer firmly and he smiles again. For a while he seems to be deep in thought, probably trying to organize his thoughts.