Chapter 1 • Double D's

WARNING: Includes Mature Themes And Triggering Subjects, Like Self Harm!

"Janie, are you sure you'll be okay?" My mother asked as she rampaged through the fridge, for snacks to put in her lunch. "Yes, I'll be fine mother," I said as I poked at the salad she made for me with a fork. "Are you sure? Let's say things go south, who going to drive you to the bookstore, huh?" She questioned, hinting to 'Liana's Bookstore', which I've been working at for a year now and I loved it. Always quiet and not too many new people, that I'd have to interact with, where my anxiety would go too crazy.

"Nothings going south mother," I laughed, while keeping my eyes on the salad in front of me. She always filled me in, with what if's. Like, "what if you get kidnapped?" I mean, sure it haunted me too, but did she always have to go over it, every time I'm walking to Lianas? The silence, she's given me, made me poke my eyes up from my salad and at her, in curiosity. And of course, she's staring at me with a glare, that told me to answer her question. Sighing in defeat, I lied, "Sammy is."

"Are you hundred percent sure?" she asked and I nodded my head vigorously.

"You know I love you right?" She abruptly asked, putting her lunchbox in her bag and I nodded, "I know, I love you too." She smiled, grabbing her purse, slinging it over her shoulder. "Alright, I have to get going, but if you need anything, don't hesitate to call me, even on my work phone, okay?" She asked, grabbing her keys, off of the counter, sending a glance at my bowl in the process. "There's not even a little dent in that salad," she glared. "Janie, you have to eat," she said, which annoyed me.

She's probably worrying that I'm relapsing, which I'm not. I just can't stand to eat this plain salad. But of course, I cracked under pressure at her glare and looked down, beginning to take a couple bites, giving her the reassurance she needed to get off my back. She smiled and continued to walk out of the kitchen. But before opening the door she yelled, "love you!"

"Love you too," I yelled back, hearing the door shut right after. She's always in a rush, due to her being a traveling nurse, always on calls or either trying to do something to keep herself occupied, rather than facing the facts that my fathers gone, not dead physically, but he surely is to her.

She doesn't want to admit it, but she misses him as much as I do, even though somedays, I don't love him, I hate him. So I guess you can say it's a hate, love relationship with my father. I snapped out of my thoughts, once my phone buzzed, signaling a text from Sammy, my best friend and my only friend. 'Are you sure you don't need a ride?' She texted. 'I'm hundred percent sure.' I responded back, setting my phone down. And beginning to make something to eat, until it's time to head to Liana's bookstore.