Chapter 38 • Red Moonlight

WARNING: This chapter contains sexual content.

"I'll be there." I spoke, before hanging up the phone, a sigh falling to my lips. I took a deep breath, as Stephen tilted his head at me.

"Janet's having the baby?" He questioned, clearly eavesdropping. I nodded my head at his words.

"Come on I'll take you." He gently grabbed my wrists, making my eyes widen in confusion as he took me with him in silence, as if we didn't just argue, or confess that he loved me. He grabbed his car keys, his other hand tightly around my wrist.

But I quickly stopped him by propping myself to a wall by the door, catching his attention. He snapped his head towards me and cocked an eyebrow.

"S-Stephen.. I don't think you should go." I stammered out, but the look on his face told me he didn't give a shit I thought he shouldn't go.

"How would you get there?" He asked, seeming pleased at the fact he knew I didn't have any other way to get there and my silence was the response for it.

"Exactly, so come on, Janie. I'm not finished with you just yet." He grabbed me, making me gulp at his words. What could that possibly mean?

He took me to his car, shutting my door before getting in on his side and locking the car doors as he started it. I stayed silent, my hands uncomfortably rested in my lap.

"Which Hospital?" He glanced at me.

"The central one." I confessed, beginning to fiddle with my fingers. I hated it all, he was never listening to me. He was just doing what he wanted and I swear it was because he was "older" than me. I pressed my head against the side window, stressed out.

"Tell me Janie. What's your plan with cutting yourself, huh?" Stephen's words, caught my attention, making me hesitantly look over at him.

"I deserve to know. Are you lying to me about trying?" He asked me, my stomach turning into knots making me sick.

"Tell me so I know, Janie. I can't take you slowly killing yourself." He stated, his demanding persona leaving, as heartbreak filled his tone and it was worse than him scolding me.

"It's hard, Stephen." I called out to him, throwing my head into my hands.

"Janie, that's why I'm here!" He pointed to himself, looking back and fourth at me, trying to keep his eyes on the road.

I looked up at him, shaking my head. "You just don't get it."

"Then help me get it!" He yelled at me, making me look down, not liking his yelling.

From my silence, he added, "I need you to tell me so I can understand." He begged, my heart racing and not in a good way, as my palms began sweating. I took deep breaths, not liking this after effect of those pills, it made my legs feel so restless.

"I-I can't stop, even though I want to. It's the only thing I have that comforts me when things get bad, the only thing I have in control Stephen! It's harder to stop than you think, I can't do it." I cried out, tears falling down my cheeks. I hated opening up, it felt so embarrassing and it hurt worse for me to talk about it. Or at least it felt like it.

"Janie, I'm here for you!" He tried to grab my hand and comfort me, but I shook it away.

"You weren't a year ago, now I can't stop! It's all I can think about and the only way to stop thinking about it is to just cut myself." I wiped my tears away.