Chapter 1-Magical Berries

(That's Ebony)

Entry #26

135 Winsler Lane

Thursday, August 29th 1998

5:16PM

Dear Diary,

I accidently lit my bed on fire again; I'm not sure how I do it but it's been getting me a lot of attention. More than usual. The kind of attention that I don't like.

It's the third time this week and the girls I share a room with have asked to move out and now I'm all alone; but I don't think that's a bad thing.

See, here at the orphanage they like doing things one way; eat at this time, you can only watch TV until this time; it's kind of boring really. I don't like doing everything the same way every day; I could see your brain turning to mush. So, I keep to myself by writing in this journal; there isn't a rule for how long you can write. I find that writing is a bit of an escape for me; it makes the time go by faster.

Though, doing this means that I'm different from everyone else; VERY different. One day it started with a shove, then a push, then an insult. Now, it happens every day and that's another reason why I don't mind being alone; because I'm the only person that doesn't hurt my feelings.

This started happening once I turned 11 when I accidently turned my nails a different colour; and now at 16 I'm burning my bed at least once a week.

Hopefully I'll be adopted soon; otherwise I'm suck here till I turn 18.

And that isn't something I want.

5:25PM

Ebony

~~~

Knock! Knock!

"Ebony, get up it's almost time for breakfast" I opened my eyes and glanced over at Sheera, one of the volunteers at this orphanage. I smiled and nodded; getting out of bed and walking into the hallway where I saw a lineup by the bathroom. I quickly turned around and decided against showering; I had already done so yesterday so why not just put my hair up in a bun.

I did so and picked out a pair of worn-out jeans and a light pink long-sleeve shirt and white socks. I looked at myself in the mirror and shrugged; I looked good enough.

Walking down the stairs I found the kitchen where Sheera was making breakfast. She passed me a plate that had pancakes on it with syrup; I smiled and nodded in thanks as I took it back upstairs to my room. I never sat with them when they ate; what was the point of enjoying a nice meal when no one else around you was nice?

As I ate I heard footsteps coming up the stairs; another knock was heard on the door as Sheera poked her head in and frowned at me.

"Ebony you should come down and enjoy breakfast with us" I shook my head as I finished my last bite and put it next to me on my bedside table.

"Please? It's not the same without you hun" I frowned and look beyond her. I haven't eaten breakfast since I started getting bullied. So after being up here to eat for 5 years...I wasn't comfortable with it.

I looked at Sheera once more before sighing; getting up and walking out the door. They can't do anything to me when Sheera's there right?

Sheera's hand went on my shoulder as we walked into the kitchen; the loud chatter stopped once I came into view and saw all the glaring eyes directed towards me. There were two seats left where Sheera and I could eat; we walked over and sat down; but no one said anything. I reached over and grabbed a couple of strawberries; plopping them in my mouth as Sheera tried making conversation.