Sweetheart

(June 3rd 1985)

"So I'm head of the family now?" Sirius was curious as he turned the lordship ring over and over in his fingers as Griphook sighed. He looked like he was afraid that it would bite him.

"If the ring accepts you." Griphook repeated for the tenth time. He looked ready to stab Sirius and one hand twitched towards one of his daggers.

"Just try it on, Sirius. Please. I want to get home." Kayla was anxious to get home to Harry whom had been having a rough morning when they left. He had been nearly inconsolable because Remus had snapped at him because of the full moon. Harrg hadn't wanted Sirius or Kayla to go. Arthur had paused in his search temporarily and had agreed to watch Harry for them because he felt bad for the small child.

Sirius slid the ring on which did its test to see if he was worthy. It resized itself to fit his finger after ten long minutes and they all sighed in relief.

"Let's get home to Harry once I sign these." Sirius had a few parchments to sign. He read them quickly but efficiently, signing them and handed them to Griphook who skimmed them.

"These are in line. I'll file them." Griphook dismissed them and they hurried to the floo. The Goblin had an urge to head to one of the Training Halls to work off his aggravation from dealing with Sirius. It was no wonder that Darkclaw had retired as soon as news broke of Sirius' release.

Kayla nearly hit the floor by tripping over a rug edge as she came through but Remus had caught her. He held her upright and watched as Sirius came through.

"Where is Baby?" Kayla needed to find Harry, instincts telling her that the boy needed her. She scented the air anxiously.

"In his nursery napping." Remus let go once she smacked a kiss to his lips and watched her jog off with amusement. "How'd it go?"

"Got accepted by the ring." Sirius showed Remus the ring. "Never wanted to be Lord Black but I am so I can help change laws and make lives better."

"Yeah." Remus agreed. He kissed Sirius after a moment. He needed the contact desperately, Moony raging at the insides of his mind. The wolf part of him knew he would be set free tonight but he didn't want to be alone with just Padfoot. He wanted his mate too.

~With Harry~

Harry was sleeping fitfully in his toddler bed, squirming and rolling. He wasn't having a good day and it manifested in nightmares.

Kayla knelt next to the bed, scenting his distress and frowned. Her wings came out automatically, wanting to shield her baby from whatever was distressing him. She lovingly stroked his cheek. "Harry, Harry. Baby, wake up. Mama is home. Shh, Pumpkin. Mama is here now."

Harry's bright green eyes snapped open and filled with tears. He threw himself into his new Mama's arms, clinging tightly and sobbing. "Mama!"

"Oh, Baby. I know." Kayla didn't try to shush him, just let him cry it out against her while she rocked him. Her hold was gentle but tight. She knew what he needed and it was to be close.

"Papa doesn't love me." Harry cried while looking at her with huge wet eyes. His nose was dripping snot and his cheeks were flushed from crying so hard.

"Papa loves you very much. Papa just doesn't feel well." Kayla soothed and wrapped her wings around him. "He loves you so much. You are his precious boy."

"Harry, I'm so sorry." Remus was in the doorway and he hurried over. He knelt down and waited as Kayla retracted her wings. "I didn't mean to yell, Sweetheart. Truly I didn't. Your Mama is right. You are my precious boy."

"Don't hate me?" Harry always sounded younger when he was upset despite being nearly five.

"I could never hate you, Cub. Never ever. You are too precious to me." Remus promised as he took Harry once the small boy reached out to him. "I just feel poorly. Just like last month."

They hadn't told Harry about Remus being a werewolf as they knew it would be bad if he accidentally let it slip if they went in public. They had told Harry that sometimes Papa Remus felt poorly and that it came and went.

"Oh. Get better." Harry snuggled into his Papa. His small hands clung to Remus' worn sweater and he breathed in the familiar scent of old books and dog that usually surrounded the werewolf.

"I'll try." Remus smiled, stroking Harry's soft hair. He really loved his cub. Harry was so very important to him. "It should go soon."

"He's fallen back asleep, Remmy." Kayla broke the silence after awhile. She whispered the words low enough for the werewolf's keen hearing to catch but not loud enough to wake the baby.

"Help me tuck him in." Remus and Kayla managed to get Harry back into the bed and tucked in. They carefully backed out and shut the door behind them.

"You're such a good Papa." Kayla cooed, leaning into Remus when he pulled her into a hug. "Good to our baby."

"If I was, he wouldn't have gotten upset in the first place." Remus looked and smelled sad, scent bitter in a way that she could practically taste.

"Baby, shh. No. You cannot help it. The Moon brings out your more base instincts, the ones that don't care about people's feelings." Kayla soothed, petting his hair. "He's forgiven you. Don't dwell on it. Just strive to do better."

"Thank you." Remus muttered into her hair and they turned to go find Sirius. He just needed to be close to both his mates at the moment.