Serious Matters

(Alternatively: Sirius Matters)

Sirius Black looked around the room he had woken up in. He took in the white walls and drab sheets on the bed he was laying on. He wondered if he was dreaming or if this was real so he pinched himself hard and yelped. "Ouch. Definitely real."

"Of course it's real." A female voice spoke, a previously unnoticed door opening as a short brunette slipped inside. Her green eyes were very soft as she watched him. "You're here to be prepped before your trial."

"My trial?" Sirius raised an eyebrow, feeling a rush of magic wash over him that felt like he was home. It soothed a soul deep ache and warmed him from head to toe. "You head of the Black family then? Thought Mother Dearest scrubbed me out of the family."

"Until you get released, yes." Kayla smiled briefly before resuming her serious look. "Pettigrew has been apprehended and the Minister himself ordered your trial to be taking place this week. Well he said three weeks from when we talked but that was two weeks ago. But anyways... Harry is in my custody as the last remaining Potter except him."

"James didn't have any other family." Sirius didn't feel any malicious intent from her though, only genuine love when she said Harry was in her custody. He would have known if James had more family.

"That you knew of. All will be explained after the trial... And Remus often stays at Potter Manor with us too." Kayla knew if Remus trusted her then Sirius would too. "Just trust me for now, okay? You can see Harry after."

"Is Harry happy? And Remus?" Sirius grabbed her arm desperately, needing to know how his best friend and godson were. There was a flash of light and they both yelped, Sirius suddenly sporting new appendages such as wings along with draconic features. They had emerged with a spray of blood.

"Fuck." Kayla cursed, shaking slightly. "You shouldn't have touched me. Fuck." She cursed again. She buried her hands in her own hair and looked agitated which sent Sirius into guard mode. He herded her onto the bed he had been laying on and paced the room, instincts in full control as his human mind locked down.

"You guys okay?" Kingsley's voice came through the door and Sirius snarled slightly. The wards had warned of a strong pulse of magic.

"Just fine... this is gonna take longer than planned... And I need a goblin or two... Or to take him to Gringotts." Kayla called back as she sighed. She let her own Drakon features free. She trilled at Sirius, calling him to her and rubbing her face against his neck to cover herself in his scent to appease him. Within half an hour, all was calm and both were entirely human again.

"What was that?!" Sirius was freaked out. He looked wild, hair even more of a mess after he shoved his hands through it in agitation. He looked slightly feral, well as feral as a human could get. His Drakon side was back under control though.

"Your inheritance that was blocked. It became unblocked somehow and well... We kinda mated." She explained, rubbing the back of her neck. "I'm sorry. I should've worn long sleeves or stayed farther away."

"My fault for grabbing you... So we mated?" Sirius rubbed a hand over his face. He had been called a disappointment when his inheritance hadn't happened.

"Yeah... On the bright side, they cannot keep you from me now..." Kayla spoke carefully. "And they cannot perform the Kiss on you because of the effects it could have on me and Harry."

"What would happen?" Sirius was afraid of what he would hear. This was all overwhelming.

"We'd both lose our minds." She stated bluntly. "Remus wouldn't feel the effects as much but he still would."

"Gods..." Sirius frowned as he grabbed her wrist again. "Why do I feel the need to touch you?"

"Instincts... Your inheritance was partially unblocked but not all the way which is why we need the goblins." Kayla leaned towards him and rested her cheek on his upper arm.

"Fuck." Sirius sighed again. It seemed to be the word of the day for them. "Fuck my life. Fuck fuck fuck!"

"Jeez. You better not swear around Harry like that when you get released." She warned, hissing threateningly. "Thankfully Arthur and Remus are there to help with good role model behavior."

"Arthur Weasley?" Sirius questioned as he tried to figure out where Arthur fit into all of this. It was giving him a migraine.

"Yeah... Him and his kids are staying there... He needed my help." She explained briefly as they lapsed into silence to wait. Kayla just hummed quietly as Sirius resumed his anxious pacing.