2.

JB

The whirring of the machine and my heart monitor were the first things I heard as I slowly gained consciousness.

My fingers twitched and I flexed them slowly as the blood slowly rushed down to them. My breathing came in short puffs, my ribs protesting at the movement.

I lifted my heavy eyelids, not understanding why I felt so tired and achy while reaching up to tug whatever it was away from my face.

"Jaebum ah. You're awake" my mom sobbed.

"I always fail to protect you" she cried, my stepfather holding onto her shoulders. She cupped my face in her hands, rubbing my cheeks slowly while we stared at each other. Mom? Oh. Right...

"I'm okay" I mumbled, giving her a small smile to convince her. At least he didn't get to her. She's safe.

My dad rubbed her shoulders, hugging her from behind while she sobbed and stroked my head.

"He's gone. I made sure of it. He's going to be locked up for life. I'm sorry he even got to you" she cried, continuing to stroke my head.

I shook my head, my throat clogging up at the sight of her crying. My heart ached and I just wanted to leave to go somewhere, anywhere, my immediate reaction to hide my feelings kicking in. I just need something... Jae.

I met his gaze as he approached me slowly, his face looking so worn out. I'm sorry... I'm a shit head aren't I.

I looked down at the tubes in my hand, contemplating if I should tear them out, knowing how much Jae hated needles.

"Don't you dare" Jae warned, putting his hands over mine.

I glanced up into his eyes, his body relaxing when I looked back into his eyes and held it there. He kept his gaze on me without looking at my arms, wincing slightly as his parents urged him to sit down on the bed next to me.

I frowned, realising that he probably didn't tell anyone about his back.

I untangled my hands from his and pushed myself to sit up, groaning slightly at the effort.

I reached towards Jae, cupping the nape of his neck while I tried to catch my breath. His parents had left to call the doctor, leaving my parents behind.

My parents stood by the side watching us before turning away slightly, wanting to give us some space.

"You shouldn't be sitting up" he panicked, his hands fluttering about, unsure if he should tilt me back down.

"You should have left when I let you" I murmured softly. He gasped at my words before turning to glare slightly at me, his eyes softening when he saw the state I was in.

"I'll never leave you Bummie. Not by choice" he uttered softly under his breath. My heart ached so badly at his words and I rested my chin on shoulder.

"Sorry Jae" I whispered, noticing the doctor come in. I slipped my hand under his shirt, lifting it in one go.

"Hyu-Bummie" he grumbled, the shirt stuck around his neck as I failed to lift my hand high enough to pull it off.

"Youngjae ah. Your back" my mom gasped, the doctor spotting it as well.

Jae looked so betrayed, turning to frown at me, looking on the verge of tears.

"They're not going to poke you Jae" I convinced, my ribs aching with the effort to stay seated up.

"I won't. And you shouldn't be sitting up" the doctor frowned, guiding me back to lie down.