xi: a friend for a reason

Jaebum noticed.

Jaebum noticed the bruises on Jinyoung's face. Why didn't he say anything? He didn't have the guts to. What a stupid excuse.

But when he heard from BamBam that it was just a simple slap, and because his body was weak, that was the reason the bruise formed he felt a bit of relief.

But he didn't believe it. He didn't believe it when BamBam said it was done by his father. Woon said they were dead, so why the lie?

He doesn't even know what to believe in anymore. His heart ached with pain and his stomach churned at the thought of someone so fragile as Jinyoung being hurt in that manner.

A look of pure hurt was drawn on his face. He was just so sad. He didn't feel this much emotion for anybody.

But Jinyoung was just so.... Breakable. He looked like he could break any moment. But he always surprised Jaebum, patching himself together.
How? It will always remain a mystery.

.

"JB!"

This time, Jinyoung called him. Because he had something to say. Jaebum couldn't be more happier.

Their Korean exam had been done with, and they were to head home, the corridors almost empty.

"What is it Jinyoung?" Jaebum asked happily.

"It's.... It's about your sister..."

JB perks up at the mention of Yoon.

"What about her...?" His voice was alert.

"She.... She's being... Bullied... Verbally..." Jinyoung informs, with guilt.

"What?! How?" JB was just really mad now.

"T.. There are some kids... Bothering her... Saying that..." Jinyoung breathed deeply.

"Saying that..?" JB's patience was running thin.

"S-Saying that... Her parents don't pick her up because they don't like her... And... And that... She doesn't belong..."

Jinyoung finally met the raging eyes of JB, immediately looking down as he did.

JB noticed the slight shaking of the younger boy, and regained his posture, scratching his temple.

"They're kids... Just kids.." JB sighs.

"Y-Yeah..."

Jaebum's eyes flicker as if he remembered something painful. It was now or never.

"Can you please answer me a question? Please be honest or don't tell me if it's rude."

"What is it?" Jinyoung was nervous.

"D.. Did... Did your parents pass away..?"

Jaebum instantly regretted even asking. Drops fell from Jinyoung's eyes, onto the floor. He ruined everything.

The boy's heart ached with regret at the sight of the broken boy. He had to fix it.

"I'm so sorry! Please don't c-"

"Yes." Jinyoung said, harshly scraping his eyes with his sweater to remove the tears.

"Then.. why the bruise?" Jaebum was risking it.

"I-I live with my aunt... And she hit me for not doing w-well on my math exam..."

JB could do nothing but just feel the pain.

"How did... Your parents..." Jaebum stopped, knowing he had gone too far.

Jinyoung's eyes were looking with even more tears.

He just asked a question, you insecure fuck. Don't act this way.

"They died. And it's all my fault.." Jinyoung said shaking more. It wasn't true. But it was. There is no one else to blame.

"What? No, Jinyoung it's not-"

"Yes it is! It's my fault for being gay, That's why they couldn't tolerate me."

Jinyoung starts tearing again, with such a painful expression being reminded of the past.

With red eyes and streaming tears, he looks at JB.

And JB swears his heart breaks even more then and there.

"I'm.... I'm just a faggot!" Jinyoung exclaims.

And that was it for Jaebum.

"Why? Why do you hang out with me? Why do you bother-"

"Jinyoung!" JB exclaimed gripping Jinyoung's shoulder, hurting Jinyoung slightly.

JB's eyes held so much worry and hurt but at that same time, they were filled with anger.

"Do not, ever, ever, call yourself that. You're not worth that word, Jinyoung." JB says firmly.

Jinyoung eyes just reddened even more, he looked down, he was at the point of shame.

"And as to answer why I hang out with you, it's because I want to. Nobody is forcing me to. I just want to. I swear."

"But why? Why me? I'm so pathetic. There are so many-"

"It's because you are who you are." JB says, slowly removing his grip from Jinyoung.

"It's because everybody else always fucking wants to be friends for the sake of getting something out of me. Whether it is money, sex, or a fight." Jaebum continues.

"And those people annoy me. They always fucking turned their backs on me. They are a bunch of faking bastards." JB says.

Jinyoung's heart beats even more rapidly.

"But you're not. Amongst this whole, rotten school, there are few like you." JB says.

"And that's why you're cool to hang out with. I like hanging out with you. I don't care if you're gay. But you're definitely not pathetic, Jinyoung. I hope you believe that." JB concludes.

Jinyoung heart beat so, so fast at that moment it would've flatlined. It hammered wildly against his chest.

But at the same time, it felt warm. Warm and soft.

JB bent down to Jinyoung, and smiled at him.

"Let's go home." JB held out his hand.

And Jinyoung accepted.

.

That day, JB warned the kids to back off and took his sister to a teddy bear store nearby. He'd never seen her that happy.

Cool.

That was all Jinyoung could think of. Jaebum had called him cool. Jinyoung finally had friends. His heart beat at the thought.

He almost smiled.