CHAPTER SEVENTY TWO.

Start from the beginning

"That day, I thought maybe...maybe I'd finally have a brother or that you might even accept me."

"........"

"I mean, nothing changed after that. We both know that. You basically left a few days later and I stayed," Jihoon pauses, throwing the leaf and watching it slowly descend. "I wanted to make you suffer. Wanted to make you regret having hated me so much."

"Well, you succeeded..." Yoongi says matter-of-factly, and the tone surprisingly isn't at all accusatory.

"I thought I'd be happier seeing you like that, but I wasn't."

"......Why?"

"....Change of heart? Maybe I was bored of all the bullshit? Maybe I didn't want to be like that asshole."

"........"

"Maybe I'm paying you back for that lousy nursing job you did," Jihoon continues with a hint of a smile, and Yoongi can't help notice how it's different than any of the ones he had seen before. This one was real. It was relaxed. Genuine.

"......."

".....And plus...you had someone to go back to. I didn't want to take that away from you...not after what he did to my mother."

"...."

"I dunno, maybe I should've let you live in misery," Jihoon lets out with a soft chuckle. "Well, anyway. I know it probably doesn't mean much coming from me, but...I wish you the best of luck. I should get going now."

"Where?"

Jihoon lets out a shrug before a quiet "I'll manage."

"You don't have to go, you know."

".....?"

"I mean, my entire station thinks you're their little hero, so they probably want to see you stick around," Yoongi explains honestly, omitting how he wants to also give them being real brothers a chance.

"-hoon! Hey! There you are! We were all wondering where you guys were!" Jackson barges into the balcony before Jihoon can give an answer, a half-empty bottle of beer still in his hand. "It's so weird to see you guys standing next to each other You guys look so much alike," he continues and lets out a burp and a high-pitched "excuse me!"

"You're drunk," Yoongi points out with a scowl as the other officer makes his way towards him, sloshing his drink around.

"Who cares! We deserve this. Come on, get your asses inside. The captain's about to make his toast!"

Jihoon wordlessly returns to the living room, leaving Jackson to stand next to Yoongi.

"Man....what a crazy year huh," Jackson lets out with a lazy grin, leaning against the railing. "I'm really hoping that next year isn't going to be anything like this one."

"....Yeah."

"And I know I can't believe I'm saying this...but it's good to see you and Hoseok being all gross again."

"....."

"Hey, can I ask you one thing?"

"What."

"...Is your brother single?"

"...Fuck off."

"Alright cap, time to make your toast!" Hongbin announces once he sees that everyone's been gathered around the living room. Taehyung, who has quickly warmed up to Mingyu, is on the tall officer's back, giggling about how high up he is and how he can see everything. Namjoon and Seokjin are standing side by side, holding hands, and next to them, Hoseok has his head resting against Yoongi's shoulder. Jungkook and Jimin are holding hands as well, smiling fondly at the captain across from them.

"I can go into a whole speech on courage or resilience, but I won't," Namjoon begins slowly. "We've had a rough year. Almost lost some of you....and all I have to say is....thank you. Thank you for staying strong. Thank you for being OK. And thank you for having mine and each other's back. To next year being a lot less eventful," the man finishes, raising his bottle of beer, and everyone follows suit. Even Taehyung holds up his juice box, and Seokjin laughs before taking the small boy into his arms.

"Hi, um I'd like to uh, speak, if that's OK," Jimin says after a long swig, holding his arm up, and everyone turns their attention to the man. "I was going to wait a while to do this...but..."

"I'm gonna laugh so hard if Jimin breaks up with Jungkook right now," Hongbin mutters under his breath with a teasing grin, and Sungjae laughs quietly besides him.

Jimin swallows visibly before turning his body around to face Jungkook. Everyone watches curiously as the smaller man exhales slowly, shaking his hands off to the side.

Then without any warning, Jimin goes down on one knee and pulls out a small box from his pocket.

"Are you fu-" Jackson starts but is immediately stopped by Hongbin's elbow in his stomach.

"Jeon Jungkook," Jimin starts seriously, opening the small box to reveal a simple white gold band. "We've faced death twice and I don't think I can wait any longer. Will you marry me and make me the happiest man alive?"

"....Am I being proposed to right now?" Jungkook says dumbly as Mingyu takes the bottle of beer out of his hand.

"Yes, you idiot," Yoongi growls with a roll of his eyes, and Hoseok pinches the man in the arm with a "hush you."

"Yes," Jungkook answers in a booming voice. "Yes I'll marry you. Yes. Oh my god, what the hell, yes. Of course I'll marry you. What- We're getting married? Can we do that?"

"Someone shut him up before he ruins the moment," Jackson laments with a groan, and Jimin gets up with a laugh before pulling the man in for a kiss.

"That's a yes, right? It wasn't clear enough," Jimin jokes playfully, his eyes folding into crescents, and Jungkook nods, feeling as if he's falling in love for the first time again.

"That's a definite yes."

"Oh boo, get a room!" Hongbin yells teasingly, and everyone breaks out into laughter.

"Uncle Kookie is getting married!" Taehyung squeals excitedly, clapping his hands and bouncing in Seokjin's arms. "They're getting married, Mr. Kim!"

"Yes. Yes they are."

Finally, it feels as if everything will be alright once more.