CHAPTER FORTY TWO.

Mingyu doesn't show up at the station the next day.

Needless to say, everyone panics.

Captain Kim behaves as if the events of the previous day has never occurred, and that puts them even more on edge. He does ask the rest of the station where Mingyu is, and Sungjae lies that the man is feeling quite ill and won't be able to make it. Namjoon doesn't bother to verify the story and spends the rest of the day cooped up in his office, leaving the other men to try to figure out what their next course of action should be.

"I'm going to go find him," Jungkook says decisively once he sees that the clock is about to hit 6. He had sort of expected the tall man to show up sometime throughout the day, apologetic about running off. He was hoping that they would laugh about it and everything will be back to normal, but the man was clearly MIA (judging from how his phone's been turned off) and that's where he draws the line.

"What do you mean you're going to find him?" Yoongi asks with a scowl, his finished report lying abandoned on the desk in front of him.

"I'm going to find him. I'm sure he's address is on record. I'm going to go to his place and if I have to physically break through his door and get answers, I will."

"Jeon. No," Sungjae cuts in, feeling a headache coming his way.

"What? Why?"

"Look, we're all worried, alright? But you, right now, really need to calm down. You look like you're about to go on a goddamn drug bust, and you can't be doing shit like that. As far as we're concerned, he's done nothing illegal, so you can't be doing any of those things."

"But-"

"We get it, alright? We all get it. We don't want to have to go through any of what happened last year ever again, but...let's not jump to anything."

"Yoon," Yoongi lets out quietly, his expression seemingly calm and collected. Everyone turns to look at him, confused by the sudden name.

"What?" Jungkook asks, turning his chair around to fully face his partner.

"Yoon. He's the one who recommended Kim to our station, right?"

"...Yeah."

"We should talk to him first," Yoongi suggests, knowing that it has to be the next best option.

"That's a good point. We can trust Yoon...right?" Hongbin asks, and the uncertainty in his voice doesn't go by unnoticed.

"I guess we'll find out," Jackson mumbles, praying that Jeonghan doesn't run off too. "Who's going to speak to him? We can't all rush in and risk everyone else finding out."

"I will," Jungkook volunteers and receives a sharp look from everyone else at the station.

"You're the last on our list," Jackson retorts with a roll of his eyes.

"Look, you guys know that I'm the closest to Yoon, and he'll suspect it the least when I ask to speak to him in private. He'll assume it's about Jimin, but you guys? Yook, when's the last time you actually spoke to him? Lee? Wang? And the moment Min here goes, he'll know something's up."

"...I hate it when he has a point," Jackson mutters with a disgruntled scowl, and no one is able to quite disagree with the officer's reasoning.