CHAPTER FORTY THREE.

Start from the beginning

"Jeon. Snap out of it."

Jungkook swallows visibly and then looks away, biting his nails nervously instead.

"You think this has something to do with....?" Jackson asks carefully, doing his best to not trigger any more bad memories but needing to know. "But I mean..just looking at this, it seems like he's the victim here."

"But why would Yoon be a part of some elaborate lie? All to bring him here? Why would captain let him be here? You know how careful he is. I mean, ever since what happened last year, he's been really careful. Almost anal about what happens around the station."

"I'm going to go talk to him. Kim, I mean," Jungkook blurts out abruptly, standing up from his chair and letting the piece of furniture scrape the floor loudly beneath him.

"What? No-"

"I'm going to talk to him and figure out what his deal is."

"Jeon-"

"Unless you guys have a better idea, I'm going. I'm not sitting around, waiting for something to blow up. Well?"

"...."

"That's what I thought. Now give me that file. That address better be real."

-

"If you don't open this door, I will break right through it, and you don't want me to do that."

To Jungkook's surprise, the door creaks open, revealing a very disheveled Mingyu dressed in a plain tee and a pair of sweatpants which have clearly seen better days. However, Jungkook doesn't have time to feel sorry for the state the other man is. Right now, all he sees is a threat to the safety of his station and those around him, and he doesn't hesitate before slamming the man against the nearest wall and pressing his arm harshly against the other's throat.

"Who are you and who are you working for?" Jungkook hisses, his eyes fixed into a steady glower to let the other know that he means business. He half-expects Mingyu to start laughing maniacally or to try to fight him, but instead, he's met by a confused stare that isn't without fear. Mingyu raises both his hands up in surrender, and Jungkook narrows his eyes in suspicion before pulling his arm back.

Jungkook finally takes the time to look around the tiny, dismal apartment to see empty bottles of soju lying around abandoned on the old, wooden floor before focusing his attention back on the tall man in front of him. Mingyu is watching his with the same expression that is a cocktail of fear and confusion, his hands lying limply be his sides.

"I read your files," Jungkook starts again, getting straight to the point. "Six months ago you are taken to the hospital with a blunt head trauma and three different drugs in your body, then you go on a week long holiday leave and then you're suspended for insubordination for months. You better tell me right now what the hell is going on or I settle this with the captain."

"You....you did a background check on me?" Mingyu whispers, his voice shaky and broken, and Jungkook raises his eyesbrows at the way the other man seems to implode within himself.

"Yeah, so don't try to bullshit your way out of this."

"You read....my hospital file....you......" Mingyu continues, his eyes darting all over the place, clearly losing focus.