Prologue

The girl ran and ran as fast as she could, her chest rising and falling with each pant that escaped her. Her lungs seemed to burn and her legs ached to the point where they trembled.

"GO TO SLEEP!"

The girl barely caught a glimpse of the knife swishing past her ear, only to impale itself onto a nearby tree in the forest she was currently in. Her eyes wide in terror, her legs gave out and she fell onto her knees. Her body began to shake as a lump in her throat prevented her from swallowing. Hot tears flowed down her face, one hand going up to cover her mouth.

Through her loud sobs, there were her pleas to the killer that was chasing her. She begged and begged for him to spare her. She promised that she would do anything, anything, if he left her alone.

The slow and steady sound of feet walking along the grass behind her made her chest almost physically ache in horror. She shakily turned her head, her mouth dropped open but no scream was let out. She turned around and pinned her own back to a tree, facing the hideous human.

Her sobs became progressively worse as a single revelation bestowed itself upon her... She was going to die.

The man... the killer... crouched down in front of her, his permeant grin almost becoming wider. He shushed her, stroking her cheek with a finger.

"I'm going to tell you this just one more time..." he whispered in the hoarse voice he had, raising the knife that was in his left hand.

"Go... to... sleep..." he spat, bringing the knife down.

A single cry in pain escaped the girl as the knife tore through her skin and, finally, her heart.