l. submerged

AUTHOR'S NOTE: it's a long chapter because i wanted to end it on fifty but be warned for all the angst! and this is the final chapter of staying afloat (: be ready for book two which is coming very soon!

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THERE'S A PART OF JUNE THAT IS HOPEFUL THEY DIDN'T LOSE THE WAR. That even though the army of grounders on the inside is gone, the army on the outside is still there. But none of it makes any sense. She struggles to wrap her mind around everything, only sure that Clarke was outside. She wouldn't leave them alone. So after they located a hazmat suit with oxygen tanks for Maya, they made their way to the reaper tunnels so they could figure out what the hell is going on. June can see the tears in Maya's eyes despite her trying to mask it. She doesn't comment, knowing it's best not to. All they could do to help Maya was figure out what's happening on the outside.

The door leading them to the reaper tunnels beeps once Bellamy types the code in and he hurriedly rushes to open it. June puts her hand on Maya's back, guiding her inside, but she's suddenly stunned at the sight. Clarke and Octavia are there, facing one another with scowls that turn into shock when they both see the others standing there.

"Bellamy," Octavia gasps, lurching forward and throwing her arms over her brother. She's in a new attire, having traded her delinquent clothing for leather, grounder face paint masking her face, and her brown hair tugged back in braids.

But June rushes to Clarke, hugging her best friend so tightly that she feels every emotion seep out as tears build up. "Thank God you're okay," she whispered, burying her face in Clarke's neck.

"You too," Clarke replied, voice wavering, as she embraced June back tightly.

"I knew it. You two are too scrawny to drill," Octavia teasing Jasper and Monty had June tensing against her hug with Clarke when knowing they didn't know about her.

Before Clarke can ask, June just releases her and turns, seeing Octavia hugging them both and patting them on the back before she comes to June. She's surprised at the embrace, but on instinct her arms come around Octavia's back as she returns it. Then Maya appears, and Octavia is on guard immediately, stepping back while bringing her hand back to touch the handle of her sword in the sheath hanging on her back.

"It's alright," Jasper quickly reassured her. "She's with us."

"Where's your army?" Bellamy questioned Clarke, noticing it was only her and Octavia.

"Gone. Just like yours," Clarke admitted in defeat. Gone? June thought in her head, astonished. Did the army just leave them here to die? "Say you have a plan," Clarke pleaded before June can ask.

Bellamy is quiet before he shrugs. "Not really," he answered. "We need to talk to Dante. Maya says he's in quarantine."

"Clarke!" Jasper exclaimed, interrupting them, bolting forward and tackling her in a hug. Monty throws himself behind his best friend, squeezing them both.