vi. payback

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

UNFORTUNATELY, JUNE COULDN'T FIND ANY CLUES THAT WOULD LEAD THEM TO JASPER. But fortunately enough, Clarke and Finn had near a small lake that they had taken a dip in before bringing back water for them all. June was mostly glad they found a water source as well as spotted, wet blood and a trail. Finn had taken the lead after that, and she followed reluctantly as he made out the path left behind in a crouching position. Every now and then, she'd glance around, almost as if she expected one of the survivors to pop out of the trees and attack the wandering group.

"How do we know this is the right way?" Murphy spoke, breaking the tense silence in an irritating voice. Although his words made June stiffen and bite her tongue, he did have a point, and wandering aimlessly through the woods wouldn't help any of them, especially Jasper.

"We don't," Bellamy responded. "Spacewalkers thinks he's a tracker." Finn was hardly listening, more focused on the course they were taking.

"It's called cutting sign," Wells explained to the irked males. "Fourth-year earth skills. He's good."

Having enough, Finn finally spoke up. "You want to keep it down?" He recommended. "Or should I paint a target on your backs?"

Jamming her hands in the pockets of her jacket, June looked away from the trees and back to their direction. "You say that like you know for sure we're not being watched," she spoke her thoughts aloud. The survivors had been here longer than any of them, and in the way that they were described to her, they didn't sound so friendly.

None of them had time to consider June's guesses, as there was suddenly a loud moaning in the distance. June picked her head up, her eyebrows furrowing as she tried to make it out. It didn't sound like an animal, it was more human-like but more full of pain and it definitely wasn't far away. "What the hell was that?" Murphy demanded, tightening his fists, immediately on guard.

"Now would be a good time to take out that gun," Clarke said, her words shot towards Bellamy. She held her chin up, remaining brave as she took the lead and headed quickly into the direction of the groan.

June contemplated if going towards the noise was actually a good idea, considering the people left on the planet, but she remembered Jasper and tried to push down the frightened feeling long enough to catch up with the others. She jogged through long grass that led to a single open field where Clarke, who had been guiding them came to a quick halt. June couldn't figure out why until she glanced up and her eyes widened in shock, her jaw slacking open as she let out a shocked gasp. "Holy hell," she breathed out.

It was Jasper, the source of the aching groans. He was tied to a tall tree by his wrists, hanging loosely and shirtless, spotted in his own blood. "Jasper," Clarke whispered, bewildered. "Oh my god." With no thoughts on how safe this was, she began to dash forward in his direction.