vii. lost cause

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"THE GROUNDERS CAUTERIZED THE WOUND. SAVED HIS LIFE."

"Saved his life so they could string him up for live bait," Finn mumbled. "Garden of Eden this ain't."

Frowning, June leaned closer on her knees to observe Jasper. Clarke tensed as she got closer, but she tried to ignore it. She knew it was because of the missing band on her wrist. The ache was still there, and she almost missed the feeling of pins digging in her wrist. She didn't keep it on because she had family in The Ark or anyone who cared whether or not she was alive. She left it on for Wells and Clarke, and Murphy took that from her. The memory of him and his friend pinning her down and popping off her wristband made June's blood boil. She should have broke his nose when she had the chance.

Shaking off the chill, Clarke focused her attention back on Jasper. She studied the wound on his chest, looking disturbed. "This is infected. He could be septic." She cleared her throat, sending a glance over her shoulder to Monty. "Any progress on using the wristbands to contact The Ark?" He was a short distance away, at the dropship control panel and gazing at his best friend sorrowfully. "Monty?" Clarke blurted, needing an answer, forcing him to focus on her and respond to her question.

Snapping out of his daze, Monty finally shook his head. "That would be a firm no." Jasper was moaning louder, and every now and then, June would hear someone shout to shut him up. It left her revolted, wondering why they didn't think he was worth saving.

Blocking out the noise, June tried to assure Monty. "You got this. Do your best, okay?"

The doors latch flung open, and June turned her head to see Wells approaching with a look of concern towards Jasper's. He squatted on the other side of her, in between her and Clarke. "How's he doing?" He asked.

"How does it look like he's doing, Wells?" Clarke snapped back harshly, her voice echoing in irritation. June grimaced, seeing the look on his face from the sharp and unneeded words.

"Hey," Wells eased her, remaining gentle. "I'm just trying to help."

Jasper groans became louder, and Clarke glanced at his injury knowingly. "Right. You want to help?" She asked him and June. "Hold him down." June was confused as to what she meant before she pressed her hands onto Jasper's legs. Wells went for his chest, keeping him steady, as Clarke picked up a knife.

The motion caught Monty off guard, whose hands froze in place at the sight of the knife's glimmer. "I'm not gonna like this, am I?" June became stiff, knowing the answer, that she wasn't going to like this either.

Clarke began slicing the blade into Jasper's skin, making him throw his head back and scream in agony. June winced, unable to watch as he was tortured to save his life. Her grip began to loosen, and Clarke warned her and Wells. "Hold him still. I need to cut away the infected flesh!" She ordered. June forced herself to tighten her grip again, pressing down on Jasper's legs to keep him from thrashing or kicking.