xxxix. rescue

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A HAZY FOG SURROUNDS THE CAMP'S GATE. June can hardly see through it, bravely standing on Bellamy's side with a gun cocked in her hand. Her brown eyes were locked to the outside, waiting until she saw a familiar figure strolling through. Clarke had left after Lincoln's revival to speak to the Commander once more, adding the finishing touches to their truce, if it could be granted. June felt like her heart was beginning to pound out of her chest when two grounders approach as well, leading Clarke to the shut gate.

"Hold your fire! She's back!" Bellamy called to the guards. June took her finger off the trigger. He signaled to one of the guards. "Open the gate."

With ease, the gate slides open, allowing Clarke access. June's gut immediately tells her that something is wrong. Clarke isn't smiling like everything went right, instead, she's tense as she marches inside. "Clarke?" June called in concern while lowering her gun, causing their gazes to connect. June can see how frightened she is in her features, and it settles a feeling of distress in her.

Finn came running, pushing through the crowd to come to Clarke. "You okay?" He asked worriedly.

Without an answer, Clarke shakily called out. "Shut the gate!" At her command, the doors of the gate sling shut, leaving the grounders that guided her on the other side. Clarke tugs Finn's arm away, June and Bellamy on their tail. "You can't be here."

The next to come running was Abby and Raven, Abby quickly pulling her daughter towards her and tightly embracing her. "What did she say?" She asks once she' released. "Is there a chance for a truce?"

"Yes," Clarke whispered.

But she isn't alright. Something isn't right. "What's wrong?" Finn questioned her, forehead creasing with worry.

"They want you." Clarke lifts her head to look at Finn. "If we want a truce, we have to give them Finn." June's jaw drop into a gape as she processed what she was told. She hadn't liked Finn recently, not after the massacre, but there was a part of her that still cared about him. She's known him since her first day on Earth, but hearing they'd have to give him to the grounders for peace, June felt nauseous. "That's their offer," Clarke finished more quieter.

"That's not an offer!" Raven exclaimed. June could almost feel how tense she was from the distress at the delivered news.

"It's punishment. For what happened at the village," Finn finished for her. His eyes shift, realization of his possible fate settling in. "Blood for blood."

Pressing her lips tightly together, June shakes her head as Bellamy spoke the words in her head. "That's insane."

"Insane?" June repeated. "Violence for peace isn't right." Everyone on both sides would be haunted forever, no matter

Shaking her head, Abby held Clarke by the shoulders. "If we refuse?"

"They attack."

A sharp exhale came from June. She wanted to panic, shout that this couldn't be right, or they'd be in a never ending circle. Though, the few residents in the camp who overheard Clarke didn't agree. "I say we give him up!" A man calls. A few more comments like that follow, and June whirls, wanting to warn them but stopping. She could see how frightened they looked, scared of the grounders. It was just human instinct.