xvii. surrounded

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

JUNE HAD YET TO FACE A GROUNDER. She's heard enough horror about them from Clarke, Octavia, and Monty after Jasper was speared in the chest for only crossing a border. She wanted peace as much as the next person, believed that with enough caring energy, that Earth could be a better place. But she was positive that the grounders didn't see it that way. If they had survived this long through the radiation, generation after generation growing to adjust to their newfound culture of savage instinct. Bellamy wanted them to be soldiers, and despite the weapon's handle gripped tightly in her hand, June knew she was only a delinquent with a mind full of love for technology.

Coming face to face with old, rotten bones hanging off trees didn't ease June's suspicions about the grounders. She had to cover her mouth for a moment, disgusted and frightened at what had to have been a warning from the grounders. "What is this?" She spoke up, lowering her hand and glancing at Bellamy briefly.

Finn stared at the bones in disbelief. "I don't speak grounder... But I'm pretty sure this means keep out," he stated.

From behind them, a few delinquents start to mumble in shock from the frightful sight and back away, deciding to leave. June considered joining them, nearly stumbling back over her boots, knowing that it was smarter before remembering who deeply she was. She flicked her blonde hair over her shoulders, clenching her round jaw. Bellamy took the lead, puffing his chest and speaking in a firm, brave tone. "Go back if you want," he told the others. "My sister, my responsibility."

June watched, silent for a moment, as Bellamy stormed past the hanging bones and through the trees. She turned her head from Finn to Jasper before shrugging despite the ball of fear she was feeling. "Well, living's overrated anyway," she muttered, voice laced with sarcasm before acting as brave as possible and following Bellamy past the warning sign. June shivered at the feeling of the ancient bones dragging across her while pretending she couldn't hear Finn and Jasper talk about walking through hell.

Although, hours later, June wasn't sure which was worse. Walking aimlessly through the woods, leaving her feet aching and eyelids heavy from lack of sleep, or the terror that grounders have been watching their every move and were waiting for the perfect minute to strike. She pushed the thoughts out of her head, knowing that when she worried or scared, that she became sloppy and risked her life. Instead, June clenched the weapon until her knuckles turned white and ignored every warning emotion she was feeling.

From where Finn crouched, studying the mud with his forehead creased in concentration before shaking his head. He rose to his feet, facing Bellamy with an apologetic expression. "I got nothing," he said, defeated. "We lost the trail."

"Keep looking," Bellamy ordered.

"Bellamy," June cut in, almost scolding. She didn't want to say that there may be no hope that they could find Octavia, but they at least had to think logically. "It's not safe out here. Be smart about this-"