"April Jaha," the man repeated, sounding so smooth, June wasn't worried he didn't believe her story. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too," June replied sweetly. "Bit of a hermit here, haven't been out in so long. It's so great to see a fresh face!"

The stranger laughed. "Understandable," he agreed. A ding goes off, signaling the elevator had stopped. He goes to leave, saying a good-bye to Maya and June before he gazes to Bellamy. June feels her breath hitch in alarm as his brows furrow in concern. "Hey, you're bleeding.." With one quick look, June sees he's right. The place on his arm Maya had cut into to remove his tracking chip had a spot of blood. He pulls out a red handkerchief, offering it to Bellamy.

Before every terrible outcome June was sure could happen did, Maya reacted with an outburst. "You were exposed!" She grabbed the man's handkerchief, rushing to press it against Bellamy's skin. "April, check his temperature!" June's head spun in confusion for a second before she remembered and rushed to press a hand against his forehead. "We need to retrace your steps and find the breach!"

"He's really warm, Maya!" June informed her, feigning panic despite Bellamy's skin completely normal under her touch.

Maya nodded. "You better go," she suggested to the man.

"What about you?" He questioned.

"This is my job, I'll be fine. April needs the experience," Maya explained in one breath.

"Okay..." He trailed off, backing away from the closing door. "Keep the handkerchief." He turned, running away like he couldn't put space between them fast enough.

June sighed deeply, dropping her hand from Bellamy's forehead. "That was too close." Bellamy nodded in agreement, taking over where Maya's hand was and keeping the handkerchief against his open wound. "You should let Maya bandage it."

The elevator dinged again after moving and the door opened to a brand new floor. It has brighter lights, and June sees brick walls instead of painted ones as she and Bellamy follow Maya outside of the box. On the walls were what seemed to be children's paintings, different adorable pictures on colored papers. A bell rings, sounding distinctively like a school one before a woman's voice fills the intercom. "Homeroom has now begun. All students should now be in their classroom."

As if it was on cue, the sound of children laughing and speaking to one another filled the air. June feels her stomach churn. She knew there were people inside this bunker, but never imagined children, though it made sense. "Come on," Maya mumbled, directing them around a corner. June watched a woman she assumed was a teacher leading a line of kids into a classroom, all giggling to one another, completely oblivious to the terror inside their home.

"Excuse me!" The smallest voice exclaimed. June turns to see a young boy, around six, staring up at Bellamy with wonder in his eyes. He has sandy blond hair and chubby cheeks, wearing a school uniform. "Mister, are you on a ground unit? My dad is training for a ground unit." He sounds so innocent and soft, June faintly smiles.

Even Bellamy is touched, swallowing and returning a warm smile. "It's pretty cool up there. I hope he makes it." The child beams brightly, stars in his eyes as he leaves and runs to catch up with his classmates. He doesn't move fast enough for them to not see the name stitched into his backpack. Lovejoy.

The cold, dead eyes June had seen in the man Bellamy killed flash in her mind. Every time she had pictured what was inside of the mountain she saw bloodthirsty adults, ones who sprayed acid fog, made grounders into monsters, bled out innocent people for their own selfish reasons through endless torture. But June never imagined there were children here, sweet, naive children who had nothing to do with this. She feels an icy nausea when knowing the child no longer had a father because he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.