xli. yu gonplei ste odon

Start from the beginning

"So am I," June cuts in, eyes flickering from Raven to Clarke, who neither object.

"And don't worry. I'll bring your damn radio," Raven finished in a snarl. She shoves her way past the both of them, marching back to camp.

Once she's gone, June turns to Clarke who had watched Raven leave, seizing the minute they had to spare. "Clarke, I know it's a stupid question but..." She pauses before asking. "Are you okay?"

"I killed him," Clarke whispered in reply like she was still processing what she did. Her hands, that had been at her side, are lifted to her chest as she stares at them. "God, what did I do?"

Tearfully, June slowly nods, swallowing the lump in her throat as she gently rested her hands on Clarke's shoulders to make her look at her. "You did what you had to do," she said. "I know you didn't want to, Clarke. I'm so sorry." A shuddered sob comes from Clarke's trembling lips as she stumbled forward. June catches her, arms wrapped around her and cradling the back of her head to keep her in a tight embrace, doing her best to keep her eyes of Finn as the grounders resumed lifting him.

Clarke's chest rises and falls as she heaves a few deep breaths and slowly pulls away. As her blue eyes land on Finn, they suddenly widen into saucers, watching in silent horror as he's carried away. June frowns, assuming Clarke's in despair, unknowing her best friend was drowning in so much more sorrow.

━━━━━━━━

Twigs snap and dry leaves crunch under June's boots as she strolls through the woods with a mix of her people and the grounders. Her gun is propped in her hands, heart heavy walking with Clarke in between her and Bellamy, as she glanced around dully. Finn was a few people behind them, being carried on a long wood that Raven sat on due to her leg. June remembered the time she would be on guard every second walking through the woods, even in the dropship camp behind their walls. Now, although uneasy, she didn't fear for her life. June had Finn to thank for that.

Clarke's head is turned, seemingly in a trance, when Bellamy speaks up. "Hey, you doing alright?"

"Yeah," Clarke mumbled thinly, looking away from the trees. June knows she doesn't mean it, but doesn't press on it. None of them were alright.

After a pause, Bellamy tries again. "You did the right thing."

"Now I get to live with it," Clarke responded coldly. She shook her head before questioning; "You still think this truce is a bad idea, don't you?"

"I think we're wasting our time on politics while our friends are in trouble," Bellamy replied honestly.

"We need their army to get to Mount Weather Bellamy, and you know it," Clarke says, a warning behind her tone.

Although she knows Clarke is right, June cautiously scans the army around her. "There are still other options to look at, Clarke," she points out, remembering their conversation from days before.

"I agree," Bellamy inputted. "Their army has been getting their ass kicked by Mount Weather forever. What we need is an inside man. Someone to be our eyes and ears."

At the word man, June cocked her head in Bellamy's direction. "Thought we settled this, it'll be an inside woman," she corrected.

Before Bellamy can retort anything, Clarke cuts in. "Forget it," she instructed dismissively. "It's too dangerous."

"Clarke, if you can make it out, we can make it in," Bellamy argued. "We need a guard and someone to get ahold of their technology."

"I said no," Clarke said more firm.